Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shed hunting dogs?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 AM

Default shed hunting dogs?

Are there really shed hunting dogs? I got a blue heeler that I would love to train to hunt sheds....less work on me...this dog has more energy than anything I have ever seen....any tips?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Default RE: shed hunting dogs?

Any dog with a good nose can be trained to sniff out a number of things. I'm sure that almost any of the hounds could be trained to sniff out shed antlers. You might want to include the word "antlers" in your subject lol. You might get more responses. When I first read I was thinking doe this guy want to keep his hunting dog in a shed? Does he want to hunt in a shed? LMAO. Sorry, I just woke up.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM

I once read an article that a guy trained a lab to hunt for sheds. He said that it really worked, then the dog had pups and he decided to keep one which ended up being a better hunter than the mother. He thought it really helped to have the mother help showing the pup what to do. In the article there was a picture of a mountain of sheds on a table so I guess its real.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a black and chocloate lab and use them to find sheds........antlers lol, they do ok last year my black lab brought one up to my kids as they were waiting for the bus. It was from a 3 yr old that had 5 and a start of a 6 pt on it (this deer is now a 170
inch 6 x 5)
It's not hard to train them , I just play fetch with a shed antler for a month or two before they start dropping
Old 11-17-2005, 08:17 PM

Hey pjhunts when your dogs are hunting for sheds do they also bring back bones? I wonder if sheds and bones have the same scent?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM

I think bone smells the kind of the same. My dog brings me back bones all the time....one time I found her digging for something and it was a pile buck bones....it had only one antler thatwas 4 points...It must have been poached...