Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Shed hunting dogs?

Old 02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shed hunting dogs?

I have a jack russel terrier and he is a really smart dog and was thinkin of teaching him to learn how to retreive deer sheds but didnt know how to go about doing so? any help would be great thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Shed hunting dogs?

Here is what I would do: Get a medium sized shed (maybe from a 6 pointer, so therefor a three-pronged shed) and give it to the dog as a toy. take most of his other toys away and get him attached to shed. Do this by playing fetch if he likes it, or whatever he likes to do best with toys. Each day let him chew it for a while. Most dogs you can say, "Go get your ball," and the dog goes crazy looking for his ball. Same with "bird," or whatever. Once he knows it is his, show him other sheds, and every time you hand him the shed, say, "bone" or something like that. Get him associating the word with the toy and then start hiding them. After all this, start taking him to the woods after shed season and tell him to find a "bone." Get him in the woods and break him off small game and rodents. There was an article about this very thing in some magazine a while back, but I cannot remember which one. The guy used Labs and did something like this. He said that when they went out, his dog would find all kinds of sheds and could get a lot more than he could alone.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've read about shed dogs but have no personal experience with them. A friend of mine is thinking about training his one lab to look for sheds as he already finds skulls and brings them back. The above advice sounds good. Anyways, I would suggest trying to find a fresh shed (or one from a friend, whatever) and letting the dog sniff the base b/c there is usually a lot of scent around that area. Maybe also try finding some squirrel scent (i honestly don't think they make any but it's worth a try) b/c squirrels will urinate on the antlers to mark their territory. Just food for thought!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took my lab with me shed hunting several years ago ,I found 1 ,let him smell it and told him to FIND.
Had a great day and all but 2 were found by him.
I do this each time to tell him what I want.
I get a shed ,he gets a treat.

I do not let him have sheds as toys ,he could chew it and swallow the peices.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:47 PM

This post made my day. I need to get me a shedhound.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

that would be cool
Old 02-25-2005, 10:31 AM

wow i'm ganna try that with my dog !
Old 02-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just found a fresh shed today so im goin to try out your idea SWOSUMike thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is bear who i cant hide a shed to save my life!!!

Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

IF anyone wants him, ill give him away to a good home gotta get rid of him

Quick Reply: Shed hunting dogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.