Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting >

Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

I can't see why anyone would shoot a Back Tension release for hunting. That's just making an already hard task that much harder IMO. What happens if you have the bull of a lifetime standing broadside and nerves take over and you can't get the release to go off? Or what happens if you are drawing in an awkward posture and it goes off before you're ready?

I'd strongly encourage you to use a trigger style release for hunting of any kind, but especially elk hunting. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back tension and elk hunting are not a good mix. Trigger style, but I would learn to shoot a trigger with good tension to help you with using back tension.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM

You need a really big revolver to be an effective deterrent against bears. Even a 200 lb. black bear is too much critter for .357 Magnum to stop cold. I once dug a 158 grain .357 soft nose bullet out of a large black bear's shoulder. It didn't kill him. It actually healed over and he was doing fine - until the .300 Winchester bullet hit his chest.

I would suggest a product called "Counter Assault". It has been proven against Alaskan brown bear attacks and doesn't kill the animal - but stops its agressive behavior about as well as a large caliber firearm. And it isn't all that heavy to pack around, although it may be a little bulkier than a .44 Mag revolver. Game wardens also are OK with it - and may give you a hard time for carrying a big revolver - even though there is nothing technically illegal aboutthe revolverunless you use the sidearm to harvest an animal under the authority of an archery license.

If I really had to have a sidearm, it would be one of the new .500 S&W revolvers. It hits like a .50 caliber magnum muzzleloader - which is substantial.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 AM

I agree with everyone else. A back tension release for elk hunting is not a very
good idea. I use Carter hand held releases for everything including elk hunting.