Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Canned hunts

Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Canned hunts

Dude don't give it a second thought....GO KILL SOMETHING.[8D]
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I'm surprised how many would lower their "standards" for a free hunt, or just because something is free, what does the monetary value of something have to do with that decision. If you are opposed to can hunts but would go on one if it were free you are compromising yourself or your beliefs for money,real nice.
I never said I was opposed to canned hunts.... They are just not the normal way I like to hunt. If folks want to do that, all the power too them .... noone should judge them. That being said, I wouldn't compromise anything, as I don't have a problem with people doing it. Pretty easy to understand for most people on here NEW.

Wow look I won a free "all expense" trip to The Bunny Ranch (brothel) in Nevada. I wouldn't normally do it but what the heck it's free.

I know they are different things but you get the point.
They are totally different, and I think you are the only one that gets the point. You are comparing an immoral act to something that is legal. High fenced hunting is not illegal! Not my bag, but I would do it in a second if it were free...... I wouldn't replace my normalhunting with it... no compromise there at all.
I doubt I'm the only one who gets the point but I should not have lumped everyone togetherbecause I don't know who on this thread opposes canned hunts as most did not say (my apologies for the blanket statement), I was basingthat particularcomment on the general feel I have got about that topic on these particular forums. A trip to the Bunny Ranch, while it may be immoral to you, me, and others it is still legal so in essence I am comparing a legal act to another legal act. One act is considered immoral by most and the other act is considered unethical by many, but they are still both legal.

I never said I was opposed to canned hunts.... They are just not the normal way I like to hunt. If folks want to do that, all the power too them .... noone should judge them. That being said, I wouldn't compromise anything, as I don't have a problem with people doing it. Pretty easy to understand for most people on here NEW.

I have no trouble understanding either,but thanks for the jab. Note that in my post I said if you are opposed to canned hunts, so if you are not opposed tocanned huntsthestatement about compromising would not apply to you. Pretty easy to understand Preach.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Just to clarify ... and I am sure Wash agrees with this .... I would not pay to do a canned hunt. If, however, I won a ALL expenses paid hunt in a high fence area, I would most definitely go .... not for bragging rights, just to go. You that hunt pheasant preserves are doing the same ... farm raised bird, to stupid to run .... just a thought ...

Also, if some how I could hunt high fence all the time, I wouldn't ... we are talking a free "hunt" that someone won.
Exactly, Tony.

If I were offered a free "canned" hunt, I wouldn't turn it down. An opportunity to sit in a deer stand, shoot a deer, and take home the meat? Its free venison, why would I turn it down? I wouldn't turn down a free freezer full of beef either. That meat'll feed my family; for free.

I would not spend my own money on a "canned" hunt, however. And again, like Tony, I am not opposed to "canned" hunts, they just aren't for me.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Just to clarify ... and I am sure Wash agrees with this .... I would not pay to do a canned hunt. If, however, I won a ALL expenses paid hunt in a high fence area, I would most definitely go .... not for bragging rights, just to go. You that hunt pheasant preserves are doing the same ... farm raised bird, to stupid to run .... just a thought ...

Also, if some how I could hunt high fence all the time, I wouldn't ... we are talking a free "hunt" that someone won.
Exactly, Tony.

If I were offered a free "canned" hunt, I wouldn't turn it down. An opportunity to sit in a deer stand, shoot a deer, and take home the meat? Its free venison, why would I turn it down? I wouldn't turn down a free freezer full of beef either. That meat'll feed my family; for free.

I would not spend my own money on a "canned" hunt, however. And again, like Tony, I am not opposed to "canned" hunts, they just aren't for me.
That is a good point, there are many that probably don't think much of canned hunting or do it but they are probablynotnecessarily "opposed" to it either. I guess what I didn't get was if itis not for you in general, why is it suddenly for you ifit is free. Is it just because it is free? I guess Iwould understand if you really needed the meat or something but other that that what changes.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guidesfrom an Illinois hunt I went on, used to work at a high fence ranch. While riding in the truck with him, he told me numerous stories of disgrace on the particular ranch he worked for.......One of which has been branded in my mind, will never be forgotton.....Apparantly an older "hunter", maybe in his 70's or so had never killed a 200" buck before. Forthe old mansbirthday, his son booked a High Fence Hunt, and paid the ranch 12,000.00 for his father to killtheir prized buck, which was well over 200"(I don't remember the name of the buck, or it's EXACT score). After setting this so called hunter up in his blind, Paul,(the guy that used to work for the ranch) had to let the buck out of it's cage, and chase it around for over an hour until he could get it to run by the guys blind so he could shoot it. I mean he was actually chasing behind it on foot, trying to "SHOO IT" away from him, because the buck was so tame...... I know not all ranches are this bad, but alot of them apparantly are within the ranks.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Spike

I have to say I am in agreeance with most that high fence hunting is a disgrace. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There is a local park near my house that I take my girlfriend and her daughter. It has a huge fenced in area full of deer. We love to go and feed them and Ijust love looking at deer,who doesn't! But while I go there and look at nice bucks that I would dream to have on my wall, I couldn't imagine shooting one of them. So tame and no natural instinct. I would definitely turn it down my friend! Here is one other option, take the free trip, use it as a nice vacation and just go thereto see some nicedeer, but don't fill your tag. Just a thought and my opinion.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Wow... same old arguement...

I don't care for fenced properties under 1000 acres(just as a good round number for arguements sake)....

That said I would probably take it and let my wife hunt it if she wanted.

Depending on the terrain, you'd likely never know the fence was there unless You knew it was there already. Even on 400 acres...

On our place in SW Texas is all low fence, but I know the vast majority of hunting spots on it you'd never know the difference.

Stop calling high fenced 1000 acre ranches "Canned Hunts". Disinformation is a tactic best left up to thos who must not be named.

Disclaimer: I didnt read the whole thread, and don't intend to. I'm getting tired of all the flamers here. Especially on this subject.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Exactly, Tony.

That is a good point, there are many that probably don't think much of canned hunting or do it but they are probablynotnecessarily "opposed" to it either. I guess what I didn't get was if itis not for you in general, why is it suddenly for you ifit is free. Is it just because it is free? I guess Iwould understand if you really needed the meat or something but other that that what changes.
I'll give you an example .... Box seats at a Sabres game ... I could not afford it, and even if someone gave me $1,000 dollars, I wouldn't go buy seats in a box ... not worth it to me. Now GIVE me Box seats and I am going!!! Same with a high fenced hunt. If I could have cash value, i would take that, but if the hunt is the prize ....I'm going .... and I'ma gonna kill sumptin!!

Do ya kinda get where I am coming from?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I follow you.I've heard people say its not my bag, it's not for me, etc. Why, what turns you off to it or what don't you like about it? Just a question.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/0822/thanksfortheinfo.jpg" />

Quick Reply: Canned hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.