Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Canned hunts

Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Canned hunts

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Alright, I'll be the first to say that I would turn it down. To me hunting in fenced in areas is not ethical. No matter how much practice or meat I need, it is not a fair chase situation.

I would sit on the tag and let it expire.
I wouldn't turn it down. Its not a hunt I'd brag about, but its time in the woods on a stand with the opportunity to kill a deer.
Another one of those personal questions .... I am with Wash ...

if I could, I would prefer to raise my own beef and chicken, and yes, I would kill them myself .... to each his own ...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

I am in the group that pigiron started. I seriously would sell the hunt and use the money towards a real hunt or more gear that I really don't need.
honestly, I have no desire whatsoever to take part in a canned hunt. When I see them on TV or read about them I want to puke. I know that alot of people think " Oh you say that now, but if an opportunity came up, you would change your mind". Well, I GUARENTEE you that if you called me tomorrow and told me that I won a free hunt with any hunting celebrity I wanted to choose, andthe only stipulation was that I had to hunt at a high fence operation, even if it was the Paradise " only the wealthy hunt here" Hunt Club in Mich., I would ask if I could seel the hunt. If not< I would decline the invitation.
That is just my feelings on the matter. I personally would have absolutely no satisfaction whatsoever in taking an animal that way. Like I said, that is just how it is for me. I am not telling anyone else how they should feel. I just know that to me it isn't hunting and it isn't fair chase, so count me out!!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:56 PM

If it was a pig hunt, make it fair, use a knife.

So most here is against high fence hunting. Did you all know that Ted Nugent has a high fence hunting ranch in Michigan called Sunrize Acres that he boasts as fair chase?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Washington Hunter's point is interesting,----But I think the difference between deer hunting and slaughter animals is that slaughter animals are killed solely for the demand of meat only. Deer hunting requires skill, and the sport of huntingchallanges our skill and experience. There's definatelysomthing to be said for that. There are some who hunt entirely for meat, and that's respectable. But I feel most hunters hunt for the sport, and the experience to hunt wild game, in their own environment in a fair chase manner........But still very muchenjoy the meat. I guess one's ego comes into play when the topic of canned hunting is brought up. It doesn't feel right in the mind of the hunter to kill a deer in a high fence situation because he or she was not challenged fairly...........In other words ... No Bragging rights. Another way to put it would be........High fence ranches, or safaris, does absolutely nothing for the sport of hunting.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds Like certain area's in Germany where I am from, thats why I don't hunt there when I go to see my family not to mention if you do get permission from a farmer It's his choice weather or not totake the Meat!!!! imagine that all that hard work and effort to just hand it to someone, I can't see the logic in hunting a fenced in animal, kinda like fishing for trout at the state Hatchery! there just isn't any skill needed, for me personally it's the thrill of being able to out smart a deer in his playground, maybe if they gave me a spear or a knife ( like tred Barta's show on hand to hand Hog hunting LOL) and said have at it I may consider hunting a fenced in area, then taht would be a challange becaus that is truely up front and personal. ?? that's just my 2 cents on it
Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just to clarify ... and I am sure Wash agrees with this .... I would not pay to do a canned hunt. If, however, I won a ALL expenses paid hunt in a high fence area, I would most definitely go .... not for bragging rights, just to go. You that hunt pheasant preserves are doing the same ... farm raised bird, to stupid to run .... just a thought ...

Also, if some how I could hunt high fence all the time, I wouldn't ... we are talking a free "hunt" that someone won.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM

If you can sell it, do it and use the cash...if not, take it!

Do it on foot...You still have to sneakclose and make the shot... get some meat; if you don't need it, donate it to the hungry...I can always PM you my address...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised how many would lower their "standards" for a free hunt, or just because something is free, what does the monetary value of something have to do with that decision. If you are opposed to can hunts but would go on one if it were free you are compromising yourself or your beliefs for money,real nice.

Wow look I won a free "all expense" trip to The Bunny Ranch (brothel) in Nevada. I wouldn't normally do it but what the heck it's free.

I know they are different things but you get the point.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say yes in a heart beat, everyone needs a easy kill every once in a while, and anyway its 400 acres, so unless its like800 deer in that area nothings guranteed, other than the deer not getting out
Old 03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I'm surprised how many would lower their "standards" for a free hunt, or just because something is free, what does the monetary value of something have to do with that decision. If you are opposed to can hunts but would go on one if it were free you are compromising yourself or your beliefs for money,real nice.
I never said I was opposed to canned hunts.... They are just not the normal way I like to hunt. If folks want to do that, all the power too them .... noone should judge them. That being said, I wouldn't compromise anything, as I don't have a problem with people doing it. Pretty easy to understand for most people on here NEW.

Wow look I won a free "all expense" trip to The Bunny Ranch (brothel) in Nevada. I wouldn't normally do it but what the heck it's free.

I know they are different things but you get the point.
They are totally different, and I think you are the only one that gets the point. You are comparing an immoral act to something that is legal. High fenced hunting is not illegal! Not my bag, but I would do it in a second if it were free...... I wouldn't replace my normalhunting with it... no compromise there at all.

Quick Reply: Canned hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.