Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow selection

Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Arrow selection

Waiting for my new setup to get here... bought a Guardian... putting a vital gear triangle sight and a trophy taker shaky hunter on it.

Haven't picked out my arrows yet... looking at either the Easton Axis or the CX Maxima Hunter... anyone had a good/bad experience with either?

Not sure what broadheads I'm using yet... would like to stick with my muzzy's, but I've been having a problem shooting fixed blades out of my old bow (switchback)... so I may have to go with expandables again.. but I digress.

Any input on either brand of arrow would be appreciated.

Shoot Straight!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Arrow selection

You'll get good arrows either way you go, but personally I would choose the CX. Several reasons.

1. For me, the Axis are just too heavy. With the CX you get a good combination of weight and speed. They aren't as heavy, but they aren't too light either.

2. Weight forward design. Better FOC.

3. Tighter tolerances. The Axis is .005 straight, the CX is .025 straight, and that's over the LENGTH of the arrow, not just a section of it like most other arrow makers rate theirs. The spine consistency is just awesome as well. CX builds each spine arrow to their specs, most others make a "standard" arrow then sand them down to the desired spec.

4. Cross weave construction. This makes them just tough as nails, but the Axis small diameter and thick wall are also quite tough.

We've just began selling the CX this year and so far we've been just amazed at how well they shoot. Guys are picking up speed and accuracy by simply changing arrows...I am only guessing here, but I think the improved accuracy is due to the tighter spine tolerances.

Anyway, that's enough. You won't be sorry with either one, they are both good arrows, I just feel the CX are GREAT arrows. Just my .02.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM

I use these kinds of arrows and bows here in Mexico. They stick quite well if deer is within 25 yrds. Also have string tied to arrow so you track animal easier. Can I use this for my U.S hunt when I come there?

Pedro

http://www.amazon.com/Spear-inch-Mini-Carbine-Speargun/dp/B000KD3F22
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM

It depends on what you're looking for in an arrow, really. Mobow said that he is shooting the Maximas because he felt that the Axis were just too heavy, I'm shooting the Axis FMJs because I wanted a heavier arrow.

Here is a reply I made recently on a thread asking for information on the FMJs;

I do in fact shoot them.

Mind you I've only been shooting them for roughly two months now, but so far I love these arrows.

When shopping for arrows when I purchased my Allegiance I wanted something on the heavier side that would still shoot relatively fast. I told myself if I could shoot a heavier arrow at 275fps or more I would be happy. Completely set up, my 27-inch arrows fitted with 7" wraps, blazer vanes, and a 100 grainfield tipweigh 427 grains. Each arrows is +/- .5 grains of each other. Now, I haven't shot them through a chronograph, but using a tool I found online my71#Ally should be spittin' these arrows downrange at 276fps with 72.1# KE. With my relatively short draw I'm happy with this combination of speed and KE.

I also really like the Slim technology incorporated into these arrows. I shot them into my Morrell Yellow Jacket field point target aside my old Gold Tip XT's and the FMJ's penetrated about six inches more.

The only problem thats arrisen so far is I hit an insert that fell out in my target and it dented the alluminum shell. However, after shooting this same arrow several times since then it shoots no different than the other five and still groups with the rest.

Look at them as an inside out A/C/C with a slimmer design. The straightness of alluminum with the durability of carbon; you can't go wrong with these arrows.
Again, like Mobow said, you really can't go wrong with either arrow. It all depends on what you're wanting in an arrow.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the input... Pretty sure I'm going with the Maxima's, and the info I got pretty much coincides with what my research... maybe I know what I'm talking about after all!

Thanks everyone.
-Tim