Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me hunt the creek bottom >

Help me hunt the creek bottom

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me hunt the creek bottom

Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me hunt the creek bottom

The farm I hunt in IL has a small creek on it that runs the length of the woods, approx 1/2 mile. The crop fields are above the creek with ridges running down to the creek. I know the deer like to travel in the bottom along the creek, some real thick stuff in there. But the wind tends to swirl in the bottom so I only hunt it when there is a strong wind that blows parallel with the creek. I have been busted there a few times with light winds. I usually end up setting up on a ridge that leads to the fields. But I seldom pick the right one. Any ideas on some new approaches to hunt down in the bottom along the creek? Or do I only get to hunt it a few times a year?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me hunt the creek bottom

Have an aerial photo?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an airial photo . It is approx 125 acres of woods. The creek runs from North to South. The photo makes it look like the creek is a ridge running thru the woods. But it is actually a good 50 to 100 feet or so below the surrounding fields.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Dominant Buck

You just give me the dates and I will be there to help you JM. Thank you for offerring.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The nearest thick cover with rubs an scrapes near it.I probably need to be more scent savy can not get one if you are not where they are at. I would some how come upwith a plan to log down everywherethat youhave seen deer trails scrapes, rubs, droppings etc. to maybe help you put a plan togetherin stead of just guessing which ridge to hunt. This may take a while if you have not been hunting there long an if you have they may have you patterned. I don't know if this helps but that isall I could think of good luck.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you already have, but trail cams work excellent for pinpointing a bucks patterns. I have3 moultree cams that I use in different areas, But I'm going to reserve them for daylight hours. I feel the flash will scare larger bucks. I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Wildlife Eye. It's certainly expensive, but the results are incredible. No flash, infra-red technology, and short 20-30 second movie clips of your deer. You could probably pattern those bucks in a few weeks with a couple of good trail cams.......... Thatcreek-bottom looks awesome. Do you have any unwanted customers in there?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah a couple of other guys hunt the property. I had it to my self the first few years. But now the guy who rents the house and his daughter hunt it as well as a neighbor. I pretty much hunt the middle section but no real rules as to where each can hunt. The first year I hunted it I got a 160 gross, 140 net basic 9 point with a fewstickers that weighed 240lbs field dressed. Since then I have taken a few decent bucks and seen some really nice ones, just can't get the big boys to cooperate.

What I am really looking for is some ideas to beat the swirling winds in the creek bottom. If I hunt there with little or no wind my scent seems to pool up in the area. I guess there is no way to get around this problem.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:01 PM

try heavy scent control.
not all deer react the same. If its a great spot you'll kill deer no matter what!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be afraid of bumping a mature buck out of his bed down there. I made that mistake in Illinois. I moved in on buck, in a creek bottom, not quite as big as yours. While heading to the area I thought I would hunt, I jumped a decent 10pt out of his bed. It wasn't the buck I was hunting, but felt that 10 wasn't the only one bedding down there. I think it screwed-up that spot. I never did see him again. Anyway, if you have mature bucks in that bottom, maybe it's best to let-em feel safe down there, and hunt their feeding petterns.(that's when those trail cams come in handy)..........Just my take on it....Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gave my response thinking that you were looking for an answer to an area which you could not find an answer. I realizied after reading a little further down, that you sound like you have a plan some what except for scent control.The aerial photo looks good does anybody hunt off the ridge close to the pond?

Quick Reply: Help me hunt the creek bottom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.