Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow selection

Old 05-31-2003, 08:45 PM

Default arrow selection

Going elk hunting this fall. was wondering about mabye going to a heavier arrow. currently using acc 339 with montec 100 grian heads total arrow wieght is 377grn shooting 277fps out off a botech BK2. went to jacksons arhery page and got 66 ftlbs of torque witch is good I think, but I' m wondering about longer shots with the lighter weight. the kinetic II are heavier but will they fall off faster?
Old 05-31-2003, 10:21 PM

Default RE: arrow selection

I would say the best thing to do is go on to that site and enter different arrow weights with your set-up and find what gives you the perfect mix of KE, momentum, and speed. Then, select your arrow around that arrow weight.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bo what are your exact specs for your BKII? Draw length /weight?
Sounds like a 50-60# model with a 28" or under draw length...........and its actually 64 ft lbs of KE for 377 @ 277.
You have plenty of KE to cleanly take an Elk, and a solid choice for a broadhead.........IMO yeah you are probably on the light side arrow wise,but it will do the job if you put it where it needs to go with that style broadhead.
Is there a chance that you can up the draw weight as you progress to the fall hunt? That way you can go to a heavier arrow and maybe still maintain the existing speed? Or is it possible to lighten the string up a bit?(lighter peep w/ a string loop.....maybe lose the string silencers altogether etc. )
As you stand right now if you went up to a heavier shaft, say in the 450gr range you will be looking at a new speed of around 255fps +/-....which isn' t bad speed wise. If you are good at yardage estimation then you should have no problem........lots of Elk have been killed with a lot less.
If it was me and I albsolutely couldn' t wring any more out of the bow' s performance by raising draw weight or lightening up the string load by using lighter accessories to gain more speed, then I would probably look at raising my arrow weight to around 400-425grs. That way the speed stays at least in the 260' s and KE and momentum will go up a bit more to help with any solid rib hits.
Make sure that broadhead will shave hair, maybe slide to something like a 3-49 in a little longer shaft length.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:11 PM

I' m sorry it took me so long to get back to this but my computer is making life rather interesting at the moment. Matt/pa you know what your talking about .it is a 50-60lbs with the tall brace heigth,I have it maxed out at 61lbs 28" draw with a loop and competition peep I do have string leechs on it also. the place were we will be going there wont be much over a 50 yrd shot and so far I' ve been ok at judging. are you saying that if I can get a few more fps I could stay with this set up?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bo.....Yeah.........you CAN get away with that arrow choice, but its not ideal. It' s actually a lot less than most people use for Whitetails. I' d personally like my arrows to carry a little more momentum into such a big animal so I' d up the weight at least 25-50grs and give up a bit of speed. ( If you had a 60-70# model and were shooting at least 65# we wouldn' t be having this conversation. )
Look at it this way tho........for 61# and 28" you are doing about as good as it gets energy wise!
My 374gr arrow will do 319fps out of my bow, and a 474gr at 289fps (leeches,peep,loop).... so I' m kinda workin' backwards here!

Your case is one of those where I' m kinda goin' .........well.............yeah.........but........ ..ahhhhhhhh.............
Not quite sure what to recommend.

But I' ll give it a whirl . With your set-up not changing the bow at all,You CAN obviously kill an elk with it BUT I' d rather.........410-415ish gr arrow,260' s speed, solid fixed blade broadhead.........Montec,Magnus, Wasp Hammer SST, Rocky Ti.
Any more weight you will start to fall off the table at longer ranges, any lighter and you are risking penetration problems.
Use vanes instead of feathers also, they will drag less and you' ll maintain more velocity at 30-50 yards if you need to shoot that far. If you don' t want to spring for new arrows, If you fletch with (3) 4" vanes and some nice cresting wraps ,depending on how you have your arrows set-up now, you could pick up an additional 20+ grs?

If you are going to stick with that original light arrow I' d consider more along the lines of the 2 blade Magnus style head to MAXIMIZE penetration.

Old 06-03-2003, 08:12 PM

I think I' ll get some 3-49' s I' d rather spend the money than have a bad experience. I thank you for your time and insight!