Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

legal baiting?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default legal baiting?

i recently went to a hunting and fishing show somewhere in NY, and some guy from a show on the outdoor channel gave a speech about some tactics he uses,he said,since baiting is illegal in NY, he bought fake apples and put apple scent on them,and said it worked great for attracting deer to bow range,i thought this was a great idea, and probly makes the DEC frown but its not baiting
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Default RE: legal baiting?

If its legal where you're at, I'm all for someone doing it. I personally never liked baiting. I hunted over bait piles before when it was still legal everywhere in WI, I just didn't like the feeling of sitting over 50 lbs of corn waiting for a deer.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or you could just learn to hunt.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto
Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hope you didn't have to pay to listen to him speak.

I guess you could say it's the same as using a decoy or doe in rut but I'm just not in a PC mood today.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Was this directed to me? Or to the guys who have to use fake apples and scent - if its towardsthem I agree 100%, if its me I'll have to whoop on ya![8D]
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 AM

I set up a gravity feeder this last late winter and filled it all summer, but a gravity feeder can run a man broke in a hurry from the coons alone. I mainly did it cause or local DNR told me that the main thing next to genetics that helps a rack is how soon they recover from winter. So thats what I was trying to do. Could not fill it fast enough in the spring. But I hunt NW Ohio and you could call my entire county a bait pile. The area I hunt is about 40 acres, on the medium to small size of woods in my area. It has corn or beans on all four sides. The one corn field is so large I had to look with binoculars to see across it. Once the corn put onthe ears and the bean pods started to fill out, my 50# feeder lasted about six weeks before it needed filled, and I think birds and squirrels did all the eating. To much food around here for it to do anything during the season. I have a new 250# feeder that I plan on hanging up as soon as the ground thaws. I plan on filling it with Purina antler max, so I can help out the bucks antlers. The other thing I hope to accomplish is more deer in my general area. When in the spring I had six deer in the same pic I thought I was in heaven. Also hoping that more early spring food will help with a better fawn mortality rate.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

lol, Yea, it was directed right at you.lol. Look at the time of our posts,never even read your's before my went on the board.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

id do anything to make hunting easier, if someone said tie muffins to a tree and and throw pickels on the ground i would do it,
im not as lucky as some of you that have 100s of acres of private land they can scout all year and know the bucks entier life story and where hes going to be all day long.

srry for thinking of ways to slightly incrase my chances of no deer to MAYBE 1
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Iplan on filling it with Purina antler max, so I can help out the bucks antlers.
So bigger rack doesn't = smarter more mature deer?

Quick Reply: legal baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.