Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Force of friction question >

Force of friction question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Force of friction question

Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Force of friction question

Alright for physics we had to pick a topic for a science project and I choose broadhead penetration. I'm keeping it fairly simple and using all fixed blade broadheads that weigh 125 grain. The only differences are design and cutting diameter of the blades. I've been looking on the internet but I can't seem to find any formula for the friction between the blade and the target anyone have any ideas of where to look/ know the formula?

Now i've got another question in Speech we are writting persuasive essays. I choose the to do the topic of why the DNR should just sell more tags instead of druging the deer with contraceptives. To me I doesn't make sense at all because they cost money vs. having a hunter harvest the animal and pay money to do so.
Well before I get too off topic I'm trying to find out how much these drugs cost. I've found a lot of varied figures so I thought maybe you guys could help me out.
Another thing I found on an anti website, which was just plain stupid was that more deer are hit during November-September. I thought well no crap I mean you've got bucks that are usually extremely cautious running around thinking about little besides finding a doe. I read on and they said that the reason more are hit is because of hunting pressure lol Alright I'd buy into some of this spike may be caused by this, but I'd say more would be because of the sex crazed bucks. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Force of friction question

Well as far as the contraceptives go, whenever you introduce chemicals into nature it can cause a great deal of problem. All chemicals produce some sort of cell mutation that results in something being deficient, inactive or deformed. Animals bodies are very sensitive to their environment and when one aspect of their body is thrown out of balance it is likely to produce problems in other areas as well.

I'll use humans as an example. Women take birth control pills with prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg. This is caused by not allowing the body to function as it is designed. After a period of time, it's possible that the woman can become infertile due to the high amount of chemical that her body has experienced from the birth control.

Natural methods are the only way to go.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Only my .02 and I could be wrong. I would say that the formula for the friction coefficient is in your physics book. The only idea that I would have to find the friction between the blade and target is to measure it yourself. The coefficiant will change between broad heads because of diameter. I also believe that the coefficient will have to be measured at speed. I think the coefficient will change depending on the speed at wich it hits the target. I think there is an artical on here that talks about Ke or penetration with certain broadheads that might shed some light. Sorry if I was know help, I just felt like pretending or thinking I was of some helpgood luck, that class is very fun but can get very difficult.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM

http://www.datakey.com.au/steve1/Momentum.pdf

Maybe this will help, sorry if you already have it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

IA glad to see that some young people are delving more into the science behind what we all love to do, Longer ago than I would like to admit I did the same type of paper. One of the tests that I did consisted of several types of broadheads and a bathroom scale. I am not recomending this (disclamer) because of the inherint risk of injury. Basically I set the nock end of the arrow on the bathroom scale and pushed several types of broadheads into several thicknesses of cardboard measureing the poundage and depth. granted those were the tools i could scrounge up at the time.
As far as your speech goes dont forget to get info on insurance costs. Seems to me at one time deer auto collisions cost insurance companys close to a billion dollars in a year. The government doesnt make money they take it from tax payers if contraception were put in place most game departments would loose funding. By doing this it affects more than one species, after all good deer management makes for good habitat for all the little forest creatures.

Ther is alot of information out there hope this helps.
Rogue
Old 03-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Thanks everyone for everyones reply. Rogue I may use something similar to your test. Spring thanks for the link I haven't got a chance to read it all but I book marked it. dwd I agree with you 100%. Another thing I'm wondering about is Iowa is haveing overpopulation issues yet last year or the year before they increased the price on non resident tags. Like larry says that like whiping before you poop it don't make no sense.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rogue

IA glad to see that some young people are delving more into the science behind what we all love to do, Longer ago than I would like to admit I did the same type of paper. One of the tests that I did consisted of several types of broadheads and a bathroom scale. I am not recomending this (disclamer) because of the inherint risk of injury. Basically I set the nock end of the arrow on the bathroom scale and pushed several types of broadheads into several thicknesses of cardboard measureing the poundage and depth. granted those were the tools i could scrounge up at the time.
You are a thinking man. So simple it's brillant! How did it turn out?

You wouldn't have had to mention your years. I would have been shocked if you were young. There wasn't a lot of money or things to spend it on then so creativity was king. The opposite is true today. Lots of money and things to spend it on with little to no creativity, just the base things in life to sell anything are needed. Personally, I hate it. Saw the Andy Griffith show a while back. Enjoyed it untila commercial for the patch came on.I do believe that was just before we stopped watching any tv broadcasting. It was the last straw.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with that physics problem, it doesn't seem trivial. I would think the forces acting on the area of the sides of the blade and the circumference of the shaft would be more of a factor than the cutting edge and point, and given the different densities of foam, how much its compressed, etc. make that a real tough one.

Regarding the deer contraceptive topic, I do seem to recall hearing that that type of endeavor has been tried and has failed many times. I do realize that not having specifics to back up thatthat statement is pretty worthless, however here'ssomething to think about. How is this contraceptive going to be delivered? If its in feed, will that potentially promote an area where deer congregate to feed from the same trough? Will that help promote CWD? If they plan to deliver it viaa dart gun (similar to a tranquilizer dart), isn't that very similar to the hunting they are trying to prevent? You are essentially hunting an animal and firing a projectile at it. To me it would seem that has to be as stressful to an animal as being shot by a lethal weapon, just no venison on the table for the guy with the dart gun. I don't even want to touch the statement about more accidents happeningduring the rut because of hunting pressure because we all know that is total bunk, but if it wasn't, wouldnt the stress of being "hunted" with a dart gun cause just as much pressureon the animals? You could even say that since the animals are not actually going to die as a result of being shot, they may actually be stressed into running across roads making accidents more frequent.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Yeah RIStrutStopper it sure wont be an exact science, but it gave me an excuse to get some new broadheads lol With the stuff I have I think that Rogue's test will probably work the best. I may shoot a few and measure them anyways. One nice thing about this is my teacher doesn't know much about bowhunting so I can always bs my way though. RI I also agree with you about shooting dart guns at deer is about the same as hunting. The people wanting touse contraceptives to control the populationare either A) ignorant about the subjector B) wants hunting outlawed.