Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

draw length

Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default draw length

I was trying to size my wife up for a bow and make sure her draw length was right. what is the right way to do this?

Her wingspan is 62 inches which shows 23.5 inches on the charts. I have a bow for her and the her arrow she shoots now is 23 inches. her arrow is just out in front of the riser. she is shooting a browning micro adrenaline.I think the draw for her is too long still.

does the arrow length correspond to draw length?

I am lost on whether her bow draw is right for her.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: draw length

Do you know the DL of that Bow? Does it bottom out when she is at full draw? Is it comfortable to her? I shoot a 28" arrow with a 28.5 DL.
Does she have a good anchor point when at full draw with this bow?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

glockman is right...see how it looks, check her anchor points and her comfort. her draw arm should be inline with the arrow at full draw and she should be comfortable and have a slight bend in her bow arm at full draw. the string also touches the tip of my nose perfectly for me. i have a 28" draw but shoot a 27" arrow. if i shot a wisker biscuit i could get away with even shorter. arrow legnth has little to do with draw legnth. im not so thrilled about a short arrow so im going to a 28 or 29 next year. mine comes behind the front of the riser. another thing to look at with arrows is the proper spine. thats more important than the legnth of them. if they are spined right they could be a foot too long and still fly right.

if you dont know take her to a shop and have the bow fitted for her. thats the best option. while your there it might not hurt to have the bow tuned for her as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

The anchor point is what we are struggling with. I don't know what the right anchor looks like and maybe that is why I think the bow is too long for her? does this make sense. she shoots good groups but the groups vary from day to day.

today her groups will be to the right at 20 yards, tommorow they will be to the left of center, the next day they will be high of center at 20 yards. I am thinking that this is an anchor point problem.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Do a search for the word " form " . Plenty of posts on it with pictures and comments.

The best way to find the right draw length is to draw a bow and adjust it until it fits. The other methods can get you close, as far as picking the correct cam or modules to begin with, but you still need to adjust it when you are done.

If you don't know what you are looking for it is pretty hard.

Your best bet is to take her somewhere that has some experience in setting up an archer and have them look at her form and how her bow fits her.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

paul, I have tried using the search feature but nothing shows except this message.

the system record could not find any.

possible causes include:
1) your search term is not specific enough
2)there is indeed no matching record

I can't figure this one out either LOL.

I did a search on FORM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Here ya go. I did a search for "Form" and my Name and this is what came up.

" form " Search

Happy reading

If I can post some pictures later I will try and post some pics of my girlfriend while getting a lesson. Might give you an idea on proper form and anchor points. I need to make a website or something first though. I changed internet providers recently and lost all my hosted pictures. I get free web space with my new one again, but I need to find a way to upload them to an address so I can hotlink to them.

Paul

Old 02-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Ok, I created a website so I could host pictures again. I will post a few of my girlfriend and I to give you an idea what to look for. Keep in mind neither of us are pro archers and we don't have perfect form. But she is (My girlfriend) a new archer and a female of average size so it might give you an idea of what you are seeing or what to look for.

This is her with her new bow (hoyt rintec) using a back tension release while getting a lesson at a loca pro shop.

Rather than post the rest of the pics I will link to them since some are a bit larger and it would take a while for them to load on the page if I posted them all.

The is the same pic as above, but larger so you can see it better.

Nikki form

And one of her with her old bow (alpine Micro) when she first started shooting.

Nikki Alpine

And here is one of me with my Mighty Might at full draw.

Paul MMvft

Ok, now that you have seen some pictures, this is what you should look for.

You want her back, shoulders and head straight above her hips. You want the head and neck straight and level looking forward. She should NOT be tipping her head into the string.

Notice how relaxed we are in the pics, this is a good thing.

Bow arm should be straight, but not locked, a slight bend is ok as well, but not too bent, this will be hard to hold at full draw and will promote torqueing the bow.

Her release arm should have the elbow even with or above the line of the arrow when at full draw. You will see in our pictures we are pretty much even with the arrow, some have the elbow higher than the arrow. This is fine, just don't have it lower than the arrow.

You want her release hand relaxed. Look at my picture and notice how my fingers just lay there when at full draw. You actually want your whole body relaxed. You should be using only enough muscles to hold the bow at full draw and stand upright.

With your head erect and looking forward try to have the string lightly touch the tip of the nose and have it bisect the corner of her mouth. Also pay attention to where the arrow touches her face and where her hand touches her face. These are her anchor points and they should be repeated exactly from shot to shot. where her hand touches her face depends on the type and length of release she uses, and if she uses a loop or not. If her hand is behind her head and she can put her thumb behind her neck either the draw length, the loop or the release is too long. It should be somewhere near her ear or right behind her jaw bone.

If she uses a peep she should be able to draw the bow to her anchor points with her eyes closed then open them and see through the peep. She should not have to bend her head into the string or move it around to find the peep. The peep should be set to HER, not the other way around.

These are just some quick pointers, if you have questions ask.

Good luck,
Paul

Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info. it really gave us something to run with. we shot today and got her going in the right direction