Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

silencing tip

Old 12-09-2002, 12:31 AM

Default silencing tip

After wrecking my last set of string leeches (OLD style...no kevlar) I was playing with the strings on my bow, and noticed that my buss cable was very quiet when "plucked", and the stooting string was quite audible...on BOTH sides of the cam. The Buss cable is apperently damped by the drop away arrow rest I use (String served to the buss) So, I decided that since string leeches come 4 to a pack, I would use 2 on the string (normal procedure) AND 1 on the shooting string just above the cam (1 cam bow). WOW!!! What a difference. I would guess this would work with ANY silencer that is effective for you now, and is not limited to the string leeches.
NOW, I have to buy a new battery for the chono...after that, I'll let you know how many FPS were lost (Impact point is the same...no sight changes) if any.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:10 AM

Default RE: silencing tip

I always found that the one leech on the buss cable silenced the most, at least to my ears. I recently put the leeches back on(2 on string, 1 on cable) and noticed a tremendous difference, with no change in impact point.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 12-09-2002, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the buss cable? I'm going to have to try that one. Does anyone use the silencer system on the cable slide? Is it worth it?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:29 AM

Bobco, I somehow ended up with one of the two cable slide dampeners on my bow. I think the pro shop just geve it to me because they had used the other-I'm not sure. I honestly don't know how much difference it makes as I have used it for so long that I don't have a baseline noise level to compare it to. My bow is so quiet now, I can't see much room for improvement. I can't believe I didn't have the leeches on there for so long. They make a huge difference. If you're on stand, make sure you take your quiver off and mount it somewhere to your stand. The quiver makes a tremendous racket if it doesn't have limb savers on it. I mounted one of the quickee quiver mounts on my stand and put my quiver on that before I even climb.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross