Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Range Shooting >

Long Range Shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range Shooting

Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Long Range Shooting

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Bow: Something forgiving (I'll sell you my '06 Old Glory dealer bow if you're interested: 70#, 30" RH) otherwise the Allegiance is an excellent choice.
Arrows: Something moderately heavy to carry KE out there. A/C SuperSlims or ST Axis are good choices.
Vanes: The 2" Blazers have impressed the Hell out of me with both expandables and big fixed blades out to 60 yds.
Broadheads: I'd go with an expandable on caribou rather than a low profile for the increased wound channel size. (JMHExperience) I like the NAP Spitfires.
Sights: 20-30-40-50-60 with good light gathering fibers (Fitz Fiber retrofit if necessary).
Get a good range finder! If you're going to shoot that far you need to be right on the money!
Perfect.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

If a newby can throw in his 2 cents. Your bow would work fine. (Never pass up the chance to get a new bow, though!!) If you are going to change pins broadheads, etc.; at least your bow would feel comfortable. The 20-40-60 ydsetup would work great and feel comfortable with a bit of practice. The pin gaps actually help see at a distance. Your guide will probably nix the expandables unless you have a good argument. I like the way spitfires shoot, but I lost a deer several years ago andhelped a hunter that lost one this year because spitfires lose their energy fast if one blade opens before the other. Iwatched my arrow stop about 5 inches in on a quartering away shot? Hypershocks by Aftershockare very progressive expandables. They don't open until they are almost 2 inches in (past the ribs), and the 125's have over a 2 inch cut! You can stick you four fingers in an exit wound!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing you could do once you get your new set up is to practice at 80-100 yds. What this will do is make 60 yds. not seem so far if you have to make that shot. I will practice at 60 to get good at 40, or practice at 40 to get good at 20. You get the drift. It has worked wonders for myself and my buddy at extending our ranges.

Shane
Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Shane. Randy Ulmer says that we should spend 75% of our practice time at 2X the distance we think we'll be attempting shots on game.

Also.....

Again, maybe the pin gaps are smaller than I imagine.
It's all in what you're shooting!...... Some are....some AREN'T!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just some comments from a 20 yard easterner who geared up for 50+ yds shots out west last year. I went with pins at 25,35,45,55. Practiced out to 65. Your current setup(minus only 3 pins) wopuld be fine, but knock yourself out if its a new bow you want. Once you start shooting far, it is amazing how accurate you can be.