Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Long range shooting.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Long range shooting.

I am intrested in getting into long range rifle shooting. My friends and family will give no argument about my rifle shooting skill, it is fantastic. Pistol shooting skill, however, leads a lot to be desired. In truth, I am an excellent shot up to 400 yards with a rifle, but I have no long range ability what so ever. I feel I have hit a rut with my rifles. I have never taken a shot beyond 400 yards at an animal, becuase I have no skill at that range. How can I seriously take my skill to the next level? I have no desire to get on here and brag I killed an elk at 778 yards, I am a pretty private sort of hunter. However, I would love to have the confidence to make that kind of shot. It can be done with astonishing success, but not by me. Where do I begin?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Long range shooting.

You need to start with a rifle and load that are accurate at longer ranges.A long range rifle and load should at least shoot MOA which amounts to 1" groups at 100 yards,2" groups at 200 yards,3" groups at 300 yards etc,etc.A more accurate rifle is even better.The rifles accuracy can be determined by a very good long distance shooter firing groups off of a benchrest. Then you need to learn the trajectory of that load out to the distance that you want to shoot.This can't accurately be done by using ballistics charts,you must actually shoot the rifle and load at the distances in question.Then you need a laser rangefinder to accurately judge that distance.Then you need to be able to reasonably judge wind and when the wind is too strong for accurate long distance shooting.After that you need a lot of practise actually shooting at long distance.This will amount to at least several hundred rounds per year,perhaps many more depending on the shooter.Accurate long distance shooting requires a lot of committment as well as access to proper equipment and range facilities.

Just a question-You say you you are an excellent shot out to 400 yards.Just how large are your groups at 400 yards?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

duplicate
Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

muley69
I bought a Remington Sendero chambered in 7mm-STW for my long range shooting. I am not good enough to shoot past 500-yards at a big game animal. I killed a antelope doe @ 497-yards this year. A laser range finder is a must for long range shooting. I have set my personal range limit @ 500-yards, IF everything is perfect & the shot feels right? I shoot gophers & prairie dogs in the spring & summer months. This helps me shoot better in the fall.
I would love to attend a shooting school to help my long range shooting. My local range has targets out to 1000-yards.
If I had to recommend a long range hunting rifle my starting point would be the Remington Sendero. The Remington Model 40-X from there custom shop chambered in 338-R.U.M. would be a great choice if you don't mind the extra weight & money.
You will also need a good scope for that rifle. I use a Leupold Vari X-III 6.5x20x40mm. I think this is a good starting point for any long range rifle. There are better choices out there, they all come with a price.
good luck,

WK
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got to be a pretty good long range shot by getting into the steel silhouette shooting. This shooting is done on about life size steel targets out to 500 meters. The shooting with rifles is all off hand and its not easy to hit that Ram which is about the size of a small whitetail off hand at 500 meters. None of us could hit it very often to start but every match we got close and closer. There is no better way to practice off hand shooting. At least you know the range and a bench rest is there for sighting in and setting your silhouette scopes. 90 percent of the rifles used are 308 win. filling out the group are 7mm-08 and 260 rifles. The 243 will not tip over the rams with any consistancy. Most ranges do not allow magnum rifles to hold down damage to the targets. The 308, 7mm08 and 260 have plenty of pop to knock the targets down at 500 meters. My 308 silhouette rifle shooting 190 grain Hornady BTSP's had no problem with deer at that range either I shot a lot of big mule deer at 500 yards. This because I knew the range and the rifle. My rifle was an out of the box Remington 788. I shot out three barrels in about ten years of shooting.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice up to 500 yards but I have never taken a shot beyond 400. All of them have resulted in 1 shot kills though. I prefer a shot under 250, just is nicer.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:12 PM

I really dont think that a 778 tard shot at a big game animal is ethical. That is not to say that it cant be done.I think that anything over 500yds should be at targets only. We have a 1000yd gong at our range, its an old oxygen bottle like you hook up to a acetalyne torch. I have the hieght down , but the windage is almost impossible to predict. every little draw between the bench and the target the wind is slightly different, I can hit about 3 out of ten. On a perfectly calm day I'm sure that I could do better, but on animals you dont have a nice bench, cant wait until your ready, you take what the animal offers when it offers it, ect.... There are just to many variables to shoot 778 yds at big game.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

A tripple amen to that NVMIKE. Long range shooting is for targets.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that anything over 500yds should be at targets only.
My own personal limit for shooting at big game is 500 yards as well and then only under ideal conditions.Everyones definition of long range shooting is different ,but I consider any shots at game that approach 400 yards or more to be long range.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:58 PM

While in the Army, I observed highly trained Army snipers during numerous practice sessions, shooting at targets up to 1000 yds. Some scored kills at that distance, but most didn't do so well. Bringing it back to 800 yds, they all did quite well. 500 yds didn't appear to be easy (from an observer's standpoint), but their kills were consistent. All shots were from the prone position, all were shooting 7.62 cal, and all had rifles weighing between 16 and 18 pounds, hand assembled (with match barrels and ammo) by military personnel or technicians. These are "trained" people, much unlike the vast majority of hunters. I doubt the average hunter has the ability to even hit a deer at 500 yds, much less make consistent killing shots. Glad to learn there are some who say they make the 500 yd kill shots. I'm not one of them.

Quick Reply: Long range shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.