Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the point... >

whats the point...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats the point...

Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Default RE: whats the point...

To each his own, I say.

How someone makes their decisions on which deer to shoot and when to shoot it is their own decision. No one but that person can make that decision.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

To each his own Is the answerI guess. I personally wouldnt shoot a buckI passed earlier just for the sake of shooting a buck. If it wasnt good enough earlier is wont be good enough later.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

I ....'ll just sit this one out too.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I think it comes down to how many tags you are allowed. I can shoot 4 bucks a year. But some states youonly can kill one. So I can see why they would hold out.

MC
Old 02-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

We can kill multiple bucks in my state. The heaviest buck I ever killed was one that I passed on several times during the season and finally shot on the last day. My butcher said he was the biggest (weight) local deer he had ever butchered. I had been hoping for a bigger rack was the reason I had passed on him, but then decided I wanted his butt in the freezer.

I hunt several places, including my own place. I pass on small bucks at the owners request on his land when I hunt there and usually take several does before the rut.
My own place is only a small parcel of land surrounded by heavily hunted private and public land. The only time I pass on a small buck on my own land is toward the very last of the season.

I measure success by the amount of fun I have while I fill my freezer. All that said, I pass on a lot of bucks during the course of a hunting season but don't mind taking one here and there.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has to do with pride. The first thing people ask is did you get a deer and if the answer is no most people don't want to here the details of your season if you didn't get one.If you answer yes then you can go into more detail about what your season was. Just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not shoot a buck unless it is noticablewider than its ears an aneight point or better. I try to go by that an I have went a year or two with too many trees between me an him.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of people seem to be that way. Here in PA many guys hold out for a nice one in archey, but will pop the 1st buck by in gun season. I don't even remotely pretend to understand why, but it sure is common.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Dominant Buck

It's called hunting. It's not tags or ego or antler size....if you're a hunter, sometimes you just have to hear TWACK.[8D] If it's about horns... it's all about you.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

But why is a deer that's not ok to shoot one day, fine the next?

Quick Reply: whats the point...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.