Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stand question?

Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default stand question?

This is one of my hunting spots. It is a 20 acre woods and i have only one stand in it. It has a fairly deep ditch running through the middle of it that holds water. It has corn on one side and beans on the other depending on the year. If your looking as the pic left is west. The usualwinds are west,southwest. Also the large field to the east of the timber is all corn/beans with some swampy willow patches mixed in, the deer seem to go there at night and come back into the woodsto bed.I was wondering what everybody thought of the spot and where as to put other stands,and any other advice.

Key:
Purple box: is my house
Blue box:Thick bedding area
White dot:Spot that looks good for a stand with funnel but its hard to get to
Yellow pathes:10 yard wide clear cut path
Red dot:Current stand location;shot a buck there this year
Green line:entry route

Old 01-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: stand question?

looks like youve got some crop circles there
Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

what makes you want to switch stand locations? it looks like your new location would be hard to get in to, unless you would come in from the road to the north. Assuming they arent out feeding in that field, with your current stand location it isnt a long walk and you can get in quick. I think if you were to walk directly from your house you could bump them, but you could get up a couple different mornings and try each entry route and see which one works.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have bow hunted for white tail in Illinois quite a bit, until I moved.... We hunted many small timber pockets like yours, and there arethree basic pieces of information I would share on the subject.

Firstly, It doesn't matter where the stand is, as long as the wind is right when you sit there.

Second, the first 2 or 3 times you sit on a stand are going to be your best opportunity to kill a buck, so don't screw with marginal wind conditions.

Thirdly, truly trophy/choker bucks (Booners), don't always hang in these timber pockets. These old monarchs have figured out that a drainage ditch or a fence row out in open country is where it's at for safety. They come by these timber patches after shooting hours and before light, scent checking things from the feilds. If the rut is on, and you have used the wind right, a big boy might slip up and visit your shooting perimeter.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

you stole my post cougars i was thinking the same thing when looking at it.
Dan
ORIGINAL: Cougars09

Old 01-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I would want a few more options for different wind conditions and the first one that jumped out at me was the inside corner at the NE corner of the bedding area for a NW wind. Without ever setting foot on the property I'm willing to bet there's a major trail that cuts that corner. You'll need a NW wind for morning hunts and could get away with either a NW or W for an afternoon hunt.I'm sure the ditchhas some crossings but not knowing which way it runsE to W , N to S or diagonally its tough to tellyou how to hunt it. I work as a whitetail guide and setting stands that can be used often and with as little impact as possible is a major part of my job.Access is the key both in and out.

Dan
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

you stole my post cougars i was thinking the same thing when looking at it.
Dan
ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I'm with you guys on the crop circle thing. Those are some pretty trippy lookin fields you got there! Open season on aliens starts when? Today?! Good Deal!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

One other thing I've found effective is stalking the cornfields that are on woodlot perimeters. When you have a day withstrongwind, pick a spot on the good wind side and crawl the field. Stick your head into each row slowly, look each way, and go to the next one. You'll be amazed at how many deer actually stay in these fields all day. When you spot what you want, back off enough rows that you are sure they can't see you, then move however many yards you need to towards the animal, lean in and make the shot. It's actually pretty tough, but rewarding to actually take a deer from 10 yards or closer while it's head is tucked, dreaming of clover.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 AM

hey buck stomper where did u get that satelite image from?i ve been tryin to get my 20 acres satelite image over here by concan ,texas but it comes out as a blur
Old 01-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for all the tips, in reply to mdf1027 that spot is the best spot in the woods but is unhuntible. There is no entry route that you can take without spoooking deer and its kinda a bowl down there and the wid swirls badly. In reply to the kidd i got the pics from www.terraserver.com. The pics are a bitold (1985) but they work.