Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand question

Old 10-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Stand question

Hello
I have a question about a stand site in an old but very new hunting area. One place that I have hunted for years, both bow and gun and have had success on is a new hunting spot this year due to the fact that it was timbered this summer. the area was hardwood with some pine in it. Loggers were to have taken the pine, which they did, but they knocked down a LOT of the hardwood. Now what I have is some standing timber surrounded by a lot of clear cut. Where trees once were there is new growth, green grass, downed trees, tree tops and lots of browse. On the edge of the woodlot is a meadow with a pond, on the other side is private land, deer always crossed this prop to get food and water. Since it has been logged recently, is it still a good choice with the browse and thick cover of the downed trees?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand question

I would think that's a benefit to you. I spoke with some loggers at my work when they were clearing a pipeline we have. He told me the deer come right in behind him and eat the greens. Not to mention when traveling you know they will be skirting the edge. My rifle spot on public land was done about 7 years ago. All my friends were so disappointed with the clearing they did not even come up. Well opening day here come the deer funneling right on the edge and I harvested a nice buck. Find the best spot where they will be entering or traveling and you should have a great hunt! Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:28 AM

I am thinking about putting a little corn out in a likely spot and put my game cam up, maybe add a few apples to the corn.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 AM
kec

anytime new growth is available is good for the deer, they may travel a lil differently, but if they were there b4 they should be there again

good luck n good huntin
Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The downed trees sounds like a good bedding area next to the new growth and browse early in the season. Latter on when the snow sets in they will be looking for the mast , but still may come back to bed, especially in harsh weather. Just my op. Good luck with your new honey hole. PS. It will only get better.