Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn-fed deer

Old 01-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Corn-fed deer

During a December bow hunt I managed to take a doe. Nothing was visually wrong w/ her but when I field dressed her the inside had a yellowish tint to them. I donated the deer to Hunter's for the Hungry. The processor told me that the reason for the yellow tint was b/c it was corn fed, but to my knowledge the closest corn field is miles away. So my question is what was the yellow tint???
Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Corn-fed deer

Don't know how this translates to deer, but we had a few longhorn cattle that we raised on grass. When butchered, they had yellow fat on them. Corn fed (or corn finished) beef has more white fat. For table fare (beef), I'd rather have white fat.

I think you are correct in thinking it wasn't corn fed.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 PM

nope i think it is something else. the deer i hunt praactically live in these 1000 acre corn fields during the summer then move to my woods during the fall once its cut. no deer i have killed has ever been yellow meat and they heavily consume corn.[&:]
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM

.....I'm not saying that the meat was a yellow tint but the lining on the inside of the rib cage was, the fat also had the tint to it as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen it in a few of my deer but beleive it is of no concern, tasted fine. BTY,not saying what your processer said is true butmost all my deer are in corn field country.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I've noticed on all types of animals that age sometimes seems to play a part in the color of fat. Was she an old deer. Maybe that is part of it. Or, she could have been a smoker. She didn't have a pack of camels on her did she.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm also wondering how much the proximity to the corn you reference is a factor. Deer WILL travel miles to feed.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure that the distance from the corn fields has anything to do with it but you should contact your local biologust and ask what that would be..I will try to find something out from my local guy and let you know what that idiot has to say...He is a real idiot too...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM

I've noticed on all types of animals that age sometimes seems to play a part in the color of fat. Was she an old deer. Maybe that is part of it. Or, she could have been a smoker. She didn't have a pack of camels on her did she.
lol nice
i would call the people at the WLM and see
Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: nkyhunter

.....I'm not saying that the meat was a yellow tint but the lining on the inside of the rib cage was, the fat also had the tint to it as well.
THIS is a corn fed deer. Did it look like this or another color?