Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

corn fed deer ?

Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Default corn fed deer ?

it is legal in my state however ihave never done it i have buddies who have been extremely sucessful in taking 140 to 150 class deer hunting over corn which to me is crazy .do you think corning a spot say a white oak ridge that is producing and dropping acorns will spook deer and make them more wary?140 to 150 class animals in n.c are very hard to come by
Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: corn fed deer ?

IMO you stand a better chance at taking that class of animal in a non disturbed area especially the one your refering to where the acorns are dropping. Baiting many times causes deer to go nocturnal.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:00 AM

thats what i woul think also but they my friends argument is that now in our time that does are rearing and bringing up their fawns on corn that they keep that with them their whole life which we all know is probably about 1.5 years then someone takes these little bucks out .i can see where they are coming from but i like undisturbed woods i think the closer it feels to natural the closer the deer and more frequently they will use it
Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use corn just for the simple fact i dont have feild to hunt or to much wildfood do i have to plant food plots as well yes you can take big deer on it but i wouldnt put out corn in a place on an oak ridge unless there is a corn feild behind it like there is on mine oak ridge that i hunt. Ijust have much more success on themand deer do get used to it that is why you have to catch them on the way to the corn out of their bedding and staging area more deer are killed that way then hunting directly on the corn pile well More big bucks anyway most do not know this though in nc around me LOL
Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care for a deer that doesn't respect him or her self enough to not belly up to a pile given to them. If they aren't deer enough to steal it from a farmer, I just don't want anything to do with them.Some mamby bambi deer just have no morals.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 PM

thanks for the advise you are right i have killed alot of deer on the wat to feed not actually feeding
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

mod you wait it out your buds arent telling you eerything they are killing them on the way to the corn i bet you money i have spots like this and only in the rut can i get them on the corn piles where the does are at