Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What would you do?

For a while, i have been fascinated with Dall Sheep, i think they are one of the most beautiful North American big game species. That being said, i have never even been on a hunt for one, but im trying to plan to go on a hunt. From talking to a few people who have been on these hunts, and from what i have found on the internet and in books, they are physically demanding hunts, but are in some of the prettiest country on the continent. My problem is this, i absolutely love hunting with my bow. Im not against gun hunting, i do it every year, but getting close enough to an animal so you can hear and see its breath is magical.According to the people i have talked to, hunting them with a bow is doable, but not an easy task at all andyou have a great chance of going home with nothing. With the rifle on the other hand, you probably will get a shot off from my sources.Dall hunting is extremely expensive, i dont know how im going to afford it, but somehow i will, but i know i have to do it atleast once in my life. Here is the question, if you were going on a big game hunt that is bothextremely difficulty and extremely expensive, what would you do, bow or rifle? Im torn cause my ultimate dream would be to take it with the bow, but i cant see spending that money and never even getting close enough to draw on an animal. Lets hear what you all would do in a situation similiar to this. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

Im not against gun hunting, i do it every year, but getting close enough to an animal so you can hear and see its breath is magical.According to the people i have talked to, hunting them with a bow is doable, but not an easy task at all andyou have a great chance of going home with nothing. With the rifle on the other hand, you probably will get a shot off from my sources.
Although I don't gun hunt......the rest of your explanation explains the way I feel pretty well. I think you're the only one that can answer your question.

To ME....it would mean nothing to take the animal with a gun. To MANY....MANY (I stress)....it would mean JUST AS MUCH as a bow harvest. There's no "right" or "wrong" way. It's simply very personal.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would imagine a hunt like that would be 10 days?? Why not bow hunt for 7 and then if time was getting short, gun hunt the last 3? (or 5 and 5 you get the idea)

Or if possible (and Legal) carry both weapons and try for the bow, but on a true trophy you may opt for the gun, then to risk sneaking closer.

Either way your first step is to find an outfitter and tell him what YOU would like to do and let him help you. After all you are the customer.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM

That is the only way I would go, is to find an outfitter that specializes in that animal. Then research the animal, outfitter and terrain that all of this is located. If they are a retutable outfitter they should be able to get you into Bow range. That is why they are the outfitter.

If all else fails, bring the rifle and drop it from hundreds of yards away. Either way I bet it would turn out to be an awesome story to tell grand kids.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:00 PM

If you take one with a bow, I think it will feel so much sweeter than with a gun. It definately is difficult, but you don't only want to have fun on a hunt, you want to challenge yourself.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 PM

its really your own personal decision..If u get the chance u should try and pick up the Jan/Feb addition of Bowhunter magazine, theres an awesome article about one of the editors who goes on a dall sheep hunt w/ his bow.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:07 PM

thats a tough one but im gunna say go with gun. that way you have a better chance at getting the animal youve been having an interest in all along.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

You gun hunt and archery hunt, so like others have said above, try like heck with your bow and the last couple days use your gun.......
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a bowhunter and would just not feel satisfied if I shot an animal with a gun.

If you would be just as excited to shoot one with a rifle, then you should do that and increase your odds of "success". As said before, totally up to you.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be taking the bow.