Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D tips?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Default RE: 3D tips?

Around here most places have Rineharts with low or high 12 rings...one suggestion....shoot for center 10 and not for the 12 ring because if you shoot just a tad low or high (depending on location of 12 ring) than you get an 8 where as if you shoot for center 10 and shoot a tad high or low you still get a 10 and might luck into a 12.....some people may call mestupid but I aint good enough to shoot for a circle the size of half dollar at 40 yds and expect to nail it....heck my 0.29 pins are bigger than that circle is at 40 yds...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know but the only tip i know that a lot of people has told me is, to take most of the weight of the bow and poundage,then you will be able to hold it longer and stabilize it more.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

One tip I have not seen is get used to shooting for the scoring rings and not a kill shot. If the target is angled at all you cannot shoot for the last rib. You still need to put the arrow in the circle. Just shooting a few 3D's a year I find myself shooting as if it were a live animal and not for scoring.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would get a lube tube and a arrow puller.It makes arrow removal much easier. Binoculars have to have them, but you can use your hunting ones.
Every thing else you can get later once you know what you realy want. Oh yeh, bug spray. Forgot that one.
It's a blast! Have Fun!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

I am opening a indoor 3D range in Redford Michigan and my best advice is to have fun, make friends. The advice you seek will come and you will settle into your own method of doing things. Always strive to do better week after week and you will find great pleasure and confidence in your treestand next season.....

Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol...I was about to add an arrow puller and lube. Also,ifyou don't buy the logs with nock bushings, I would suggest pin nocks. If someone hits your arrow, it's less likely to split because of the bushing.Also, if you can see the arrows, go all black. It's harder for someone to shoot for your arrow when it's all black. My 3-D arrows aremostly black. The only color on them is the logo which faces out so I can knockthem without thinking about howthey should be turned.

I noticed an umbrella was mentioned for wind...it is also useful forwhenyou're facing thesun!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup, get an arrow puller. Second, being the primary predator you are, just do it as a way of staying on top of your game. Don't get all caught up in the faster is better, changing arrows etc etc. Take your hunting set up to the range and become the arrow. Just do it for the fun of it all. Being a newbie at it you can't expect to become the Zen Master overnight. They have all these crazy targets we'd never shoot at with these crazy kill zones at odd ranges. Just go and throw some arrows. My only problem is most ranges don't have enough elevated shooting positions. 43 yards from the ground is not 43 from 20 feet up.

I noticed an umbrella was mentioned for wind...it is also useful forwhenyou're facing thesun!

Oh God... give me strength. Good grief. Sun protection even.[&:]
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I have is to use Satellite Slik Tips and arrow lube. The satellite tipshave a self lubricating collar and they make a hole bigger than the shaft of the arrow which makes it easier to pull from the target. Nothing will ruin your 3d shoot faster than not being able to pull your arrows!