Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D tips?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 3D tips?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and sticking my toe into the 3D waters this year, and want to know if anyone can provide any useful tips and/or suggestions... One of the biggest reasons I never did was that I thought all shoots were always held on Sunday mornings, and we're always in church then, but it appears that some are held around here on Saturdays, too.

I know I'll need a good field or hip quiver, as that seems to be standard. Suggest something nice to me that's useful, and let me know why. If you've seen my archery room and other pics, you know I have no qualms about buying the best... just let me know why it's the best.

I thought I may need some sort of stool too to sit on in between long waits, but someone told me that's only for larger shoots? Is that true, or would I still get some benefit out of one?

Any other thoughts?

I asked a few questions in the IBO 3D section, but it doesn't appear that forum gets much traffic.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3D tips?

My best advice is to just go.

Once you have shot a couple,then you can make a determination as what kind of plunge you will want to take.

Right now just stick to the basics.Take your hunting setup and have some fun.No stool needed.

If you decide that the competing is for you,then the sky is the limit.Anywhere from $100.00 sights to $600.00 sights.$30.00 stabilizers to $150.00 stabilizers.

Just remember that ANY movable sight will put you in the open class and you probably don't want to jump into that in the beggining.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL.

Dude........you needed to start a thread to get 3D shooting tips? [:-]

Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you decide that the competing is for you...
And one of the very biggest reasons I've never went yet... Being an athlete my whole life and absolutely thriving in the competitive arena, I'm scared of getting sucked into something that will consume me in the future.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

3-d can definately consume you.It is great ,clean fun.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Greg, it's addicting, I can tell you that..but no more so than is bowhunting in general. Experience is where it's at.....I don't know what to tell you other than to just do it.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget binoculars. Shooting 3D just a few years ago binocs were not allowed, now they are..........geesh. I treat 3D for fun and practice for judging yardage getting ready and staying sharp for hunting season. But you need binocs to see the scoring rings and trust me.......those 12 rings aren't where I would shoot at a buck much of the time! I don't need a stool for our local club although we average 110 shooters each monthly shoot. Guess you are lucky, all of our club shoots and the surrounding clubs all shoot on Sunday.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM

I'm no expert by no means. I've never won or even came close for that matter, but dang are they a blast. I have prolly only shot around 10, but one that i liked was pretty close to you is the perryville shoot. Im not sure if they are on saturdays or not. Anyway, I see a lot of people using a fatter arrow to help in cutting lines for a higher score. Im not sure what kind of arrows you use but, an example is the GoldTIP UL series 22. They are a bigger diameter shaft without the weight. Just a suggestion. Another thing is I see a lot of people have a bow holder. It is a plastic peice that attatches to your stablizer that acts as a tripod to stand your bow up while you go to check your score. Again you dont need these things to go. I dont use either one. I just bring my hunting setup and go have fun with some friends. So my main suggestion is to get some buds together and go have a blast.(And making fun of them is all the more fun)
Old 01-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your gonna find that 3D shooting is alot of fun and challenging and your right your gonna need a good hip quiver.
Most 3d range pro shops sell alot of archery stuff and I'm sure you'll find one there but if you want one before you start.
A real nice quiver will cost you about $ 50 .00 to $ 60. 00 and you shouldget one that has a four tube arrow holder about 22 inch's long.
It should also have pockets for your binoculars and clips for your score card and water bottle and other thing you might want to bring along.
As for a brand name goes Vista makes a good product there durable and come in assorted patterns who knows you might find onein predator deception.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

MO, the one in Perryville is on Sundays only... there's one held the same weekends in Glenallen on Saturdays too. I've got those programmed into my Palm already...

Quick Reply: 3D tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.