Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you target bucks every time afield? >

Do you target bucks every time afield?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you target bucks every time afield?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you target bucks every time afield?

next year ill be hunting more towards your way. this year i was buck hunting. i even came to half draw on a cow of a doe..less then 15yds away broadside feeding calmly with a grown yearling. this was my first year and i didnt know any better than not to hunt GOOD areas till the rut ect...i just knew in another couple weeks shed be "Bait" sure enough i think it was the next weekend i got my shot at a buck after her and the fawn came though. not sure he was following or chasing..it was early yet..but he came out after they came through..

ill be a new hunter next year. i want to find a few areas with alot of deer to take a doe or 2 from to get the first bowkill out of the way...just need to break the ice and ill take the meat for sure! this year i didnt expect to get to hunt as much as i did..but wanted the big bucks in the areas i was hunting..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Well.....I've got a game plan for '07......and it's HIGHLY centered on me connecting with a certain buck, early. I'm targeting 3 different KNOWN bucks.......and any straggler in the area I haven't seen, yet. I had a shot at THE buck (the one I'm targeting for '07) on the fourth day of the '06 season.....so I know I have a real short window to take one of these guys.

IF I do......I'll absolutely become a doe killing machine. If I get that buck early.....I'll try to fill every remaining tag I have on does.....and buy more. If I shoot a buck early.....I could conceivably take 8 deer with my bow. If I don't.....it might more mirror this past year.

I could go into the season with the mentality to take every available doe (without a fawn.....my rule) and hope that a good buck shows.....but I'm not ready to roll the dice like that. I'd HATE to have every animal in the woods scared by mid-season by shooting everything that walked.

I need to take does, though........and we need to thin a small herd of them. I'd love for my son and I to take 10 does out of the herd. OK...Rob/PA gets a couple. We'll take 8.

That's how I'm approaching it as of right now. We'll see after the first 10 days of the season........
Old 01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Site Buck Guru

I rarely see does without fawns.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, first two weeks are for Doe's and If one walks by that is a shooter then so be it.

late season is doe only also(as long as I have my buck!!)

Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I kow, Greg....I know. I see a LOT of does and fawns, though.....and I won't shoot if there's 2 fawns and 3 does....because I can't figure out which youngin is with which slickhead.

When they get nearly as big as mama, though......I'm gonna bust either mama's or THEM, this year. I've simply got too many does running around.....and they're good eatin. I'm also a bit greedy....and I'm ALWAYS thinking there's a buck behind every doe I see. So....I typically pass even on some lone does.....hoping for a trailer. If I get my buck early, though.......I'm on a mission.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I target mature Bucks, Ones that I think will gross 130 or more (I wish more), Since moveing back to northern Michigan. I have taken 3 in 10 seasons in that class, on public hunting land, the other 7 seasons I ate tags in this state!! I'm in it for the Hunt, and not so much the Kill. I Drew back on 7 small Bucks this season and never released an Arrow, and I am happy with that (would have been happier if I got the 10pt I was Hunting) I have no worry of Deer meat, My Wife scores deer differnt than I do (scores them by ham size) and She keeps the freezer Full.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 PM

I always set my stands w/ the intention of shooting a buck foremost,but I'll set at least one stand for does only. A place like a doe only travel route. This way, the stands I set for bucks won't be compromised by shooting a doe there.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

doe meat is much better then bucks. i go for what ever i see. but it has to be within a certain size. and no hunting for just antlers!!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually have twice as many doe tags as I do buck tags, 2 doe and 1 buck, so I plan on shooting either two doe or a doe and a nice buck if given the chance!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, if I haven't gotten one yet, but if a doe gives me a slam-dunk I'll take it.If it's the rut though, I will shoot a buck ONLY!