Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your favorite bowhunting experience / memory? >

What's your favorite bowhunting experience / memory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your favorite bowhunting experience / memory?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite bowhunting experience / memory?

Christening a deer camp.

A buddy of mine built a cabin up north to use as a deer camp. He and 4 other guys had been bowhunting it for 4 years without putting anything on the meat pole. They invited me to go up on a Friday and hunt with them for the weekend. Iwent upby myselffriday AM and got there about noon. Walked a few hundred yards out behind camp and set up in a promising looking area. About 3pm I arrowed a 175 lb. nine pointer, got it back to camp and hung on the meat pole before everyone else showed up around 6pm. The looks of disbelief on their faces when they pulled in is something I will never forget.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

mine would be my first buck and i seen bucks sparring on 2 occasions and i seen alot of deer bed down really close this year.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taking my first deer with a bow. It was a doe. Since I have taken more deer/bucks with my bow, but the first is always a favorite memory.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once took a nice 7 pointer.
I climbed up in a stand very late in the morning and grunted once. He got up out of the bed and came down the creek toward me. When he got behind a tree I pulled back. When he stepped across the creek I let fly. He just kind of jumped and continued to sniff the area for the scent I put out. I thought I had missed so I was reaching for another arrow. He then started shaking and ran about 10 ft and piled up. He never knew he was hit until it was WAY too late. That was awesome.
The arrow went directly though his heart.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM

My favorite experiences are the hunts I spent with my late best friend, Darrell. I'll never, ever, ever forget any one of those, and it will never, ever, ever, get any better than that.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

This year with my muzzleloader. I woke up late and it was windy and cold. Some light snow flying. I went up got some breakfast and tried to think of somewere I could go sit and not freeze my behind off. I looked at the wind direction and decided to try to just sneek up on a small patch of woods that I knew held a good buck most of the time. I headed out around 9:30 walking into the wind and watching everything in the overgrown pasture. I closed in on the woods and followed a thick stripe of pine trees to help conseal me. Then I slowly made my way over the hill and sat next to a small cedar tree watching the small patch with my Binoculars looking for any sign of deer. I called once to see what might show up and thats when the deer got up. 3 does came out in my direction slowly looking and the big 10 pt went out the back side onto the field and looked for me from there. He just stood out in the wide open field with snow flying looking for the other buck he heard. Just too far to shoot I sat and watched. Nothing better than seeing big deer where you hunt, even if you can't always get them.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My sucess this year harvesting a upper 130 class whitetail, with my brother in a tree about 60 yards from me. I have been 5 years trying to get him to join the camp where I hunt , he gave in this year. There will be 2 people bowhunting our 1500 acres of rivers bottoms this year.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:11 AM

It was the last day of my archery elk hunt. I had stumbled upon a herd and spent the next 2 hours manuvering into position for a shot. I had lost my call earlier that day, soI had torely on nothing but stealth and luck for a shotoppertunity.
The herd wondered thrusomehigh alpine pines, allowing me to follow, skirting from tree to tree for cover. Thetrees opened up to a hugeopen area on the mountainside, withnothing more than sagebrush and rocks to hide behind.7 small bulls were on my left,with one spike in archery range.About 30 cows were on my right, with one calf only about 10 yards from my hidden position. I was about to draw on the spike, when I noticed the big herd bull. A beautiful6X6.Antler fever took over, andI focusedin on the bruiser.
I slowly manuvered into a better position by crawling over the rocks and between the sparse sagebrush. The whole timeI had to check the calf and spike, and move only when they went tofeed. My final spotI was within 20 yardsof the spike,and settled in for a shot at the herd bull. He kept his distancefrom me, running himself ragged between keeping his herd together and keeping check on the lesser bulls. The whole scene was increadible, and gave me huge insite to herd activity. Light was fading fast, and the other bulls moved off further down the ridge.
I then heard the distant call of one of the cows on the other side ofthe ridge. The herd bull immediately trotted off in her direction, followed by the cows. With the sun now down, I sprang from my hiding place, and raced down the ridge, hearing the elk on the other side. I ended up below them, and startedover the ridge.
Istopped behind a large pine and could hear them above me. I checked my sites, and the light had faded enough that my pins were loosing thier glow.It was now or never.
I stepped out from the tree and came face to face with the herd bull at about 30 yards. We both look as surprised as the other. Me, that he was closer than I thought, and him wondering what the heck that weird moving bush was. We stood there for what seemed like forever, waiting for one or the other to move. I finally looked down and saw that my sites had no illumination. The light was gone, the hunt was over, the Bull won.
I raised my arms and let out a huge yell! AAAWWWWWWWGGGGGGGG! The bull trotted up the hill. I took out my flashlight and made my way of the mountain, all the while hearing the echo of that bulls bugle trailing off behind me.
I returned 2 months later for a late season spike elk rifle hunt. At nearly the same spot we left each other, I ran into a single 6X6 bull.I do not know if it was the same bull. We just exchanged greetings and he moved off into the thick timber. I took my spike 2 days later, but that archery experience still sends shivers thru my spine.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine would be my Wife, 2 Sons, and Grandsons, First Deer, I just does not get any better than that!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first and only one so far is my second turkey but this time it was with a bow. It was only a jake but it was 10 times more fun than shooting one with a shotgun

Quick Reply: What's your favorite bowhunting experience / memory?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.