Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature Spikes?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Mature Spikes?

Good question
I havent ever seen any or at lest i dont think i have
I mean have you heard of a doe haveing a rike
It could happen but the chances are very very slim
like one and a million
Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen a couple of giant big bodied deer with spikes. One in particular had only one spike and it was over a foot long. This deer had to be over 300 LBs, had a saggy belly, and looked very old.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

I guess from what I've been told and read, spikes are usually 1 year and 3-4 month olds, not 1 year and 6 months.

I've seen older bucks with one big spike and a regular rack, but they've been injured.

I would imagine it could happen.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Dominant Buck

My experiences have shown not many old spikes. But, I tend to hunt in areas of decent genetics, food, cover etc etc. I've seen a zillion spikes but mostly in the year and half stage. Most will grow up. You can tell an old one by his body, belly, head, muscle tone etc. Old ones just don't look like young bucks.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

In all my years hunting I have seen 1 , 3 year old spike , he was a big deer allso .I have seen plenty of 1 1/2 year old 10 pointers allso , in the same area . My buddy shot a 6 year old 6 point this year .

furgitter is way off base , ddt has nothing to do with it , and is a favorite of the tree hugers to pick on , that chemical saved millions of lives , and it has been villinazed and accused of things it never did , the bird egg thing was 1 isolated case were some idiot missaplied it . The pictures the indians drew of horned animals , all had big racks , and there are many trophy deer from before the invention of ddt , allbeit that was a long time ago and there wernt as many "trophy hunters" around in those days , they hunted for food , if its brown its down was a given .

Genetics , and nutrition , and the combination of both Im sure has alot to do with it , as well as injury . The 6 year old 6 point was shot on some very fertile soil where 3 year old 130 class 10 points are common , genetics are my guess in his case , kind of like the diferance betwene willis , and shaq .
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

We should all step aside and make room for the spikemaster to come in here and quote us knowledge.

I'm just sayin.......
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Interesting. So, if in most cases spikes are 1.5 year olds, does it also stand to reason that most 1.5 year olds are spikes?.. or do they often develope a more substantial rack?
Maybe in some areas, but generally no.Where I have hunted in Ohio (most of the state)and Indiana (western part of the state)a 1.5 year old will have anywhere from 4-10 points. Although I guess I shouldn't say that since the 10-point 1.5 year olds are as rare as the spikes. So, I'll change that to 4-8 points.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Question. I'm sure it has happened somewhere, but I would say most spikes are 1.5 yr olds. An old buck with bad genetics would be morelikely have a small basket rack instead of spikes.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have never seen a spike older than 1.5 years and have never heard of one around the areas I hunt in WI. Many guys like to try and brag up a spike they shot if it looks to have a "big" body. The fact is the truth hurts when they look at the teeth and it's 1.5 years.

Around home I RARELY see a spike at all. Most of our 1.5 year olds are 6 points on average. Some more some less. Up north in northern WI I see plenty of spikes. We still grow big bucks there also. 140" deer are taken by our group every year.

In my opion MOST guys that see "mature spikes" need to spend more time in the woods and learning about deer biology.