Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spikes?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default Spikes?

Would you shoot a spike?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spikes?

I do not shoot 1 1/2 yr. old spikes. I will, on the other hand, take out an older spike. I don't make a habit out of it though. Nothing wrong with taking a spike every now and then.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Almost without fail, spikes in my neck of the woods are 1 1/2 year old deer. I won't shoot young bucks, but like the post above, if it was an older buck, I might be persuaded.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

An obviously older spike, yes!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Depends...if bowhunting and an ethical opportunity comes along...yes definitely. when rifle hunting I will tend to hold off a little longer....but the whole point is to put meat on the table...

I know, i know...there are does for the table meat. True. There are times though when you have to shoot what walks by you.

thoughts?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let my daughter shoot a 2 1/2 year old spike last year but we don't shoot young spikes...No
The tricky part is that our county started allowing the shooting of spikes when they started the new antler restrictions, which allows you do shoot two deer now.....I think all the people inmy neck of thewoods will be wearing them out now!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM

how bigs the spikes? ol
Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I want to. I havn't shot a spike in years, but I'm not tied to the grow big buck trend that some do. If one of my grandsons wants to shoot one while I'm sitting with themI always explain that a bigger buck might come out later and it might pay to wait, but I won't chastize them about shooting one.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

We get so many doe tags here that there's no reason to shoot a spike any more. There was a time though, that the only bucks we saw during gun season were spikes and forks. We hunted public land. There were no doe tags then. If you wanted a buck, you had to shoot a spike or fork.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

if its an older spike yes, but during bow seaosn i let them walk, if you dont shoot one during gun season your neighbor will. you cant eat the antlers anyway

Quick Reply: Spikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.