Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define a PRO Shop >

Define a PRO Shop

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define a PRO Shop

Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Define a PRO Shop

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

yeah, but what topic hasn't? [8D]
You are absolutely right, after all most hunting is overI will say this:
I travel about 100 miles to get to Len'sand pass right by Bass Pro in the process.I have purchasedmy last 3 bows and one youth bowand most of my suppliesfrom Len. Why? His industry knowledge and I will purchase each additional bow from him as well.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish i had a shop nearby where i could get guns,bows,fishing reels fixed.And test fire new guns and bows,before purchasing them to make sure thats what i want.At the same place where i can buy ammo at the correct grain and type for game in my area.AND have an indoor range with elevated stands,throw in a snack bar and i would never go home.
As it is now, Ive gotta drive 100 miles in 5 differant directions all over wisconsin to find little mom and pop shops that do one or the other.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM

only problem with my local "pro shop" i sprice gouging. only place in town so its cabelas for 4.99 or ______ Outdoors in town for 14.99. i cant stand it and refuse to go back to there. I have found a small proshop 30 minutes away which is actually in the bacl of this guys grocery store. very friendly, competitive pricing, and best of all CUSTOMER SERVICE when something goes wrong.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 AM

Thank you, Rick, for those kind words and for your patronage.

As faras gouging, it just could be a mistake. I mistakenly did it several times. Once I looked at the wrong price sheet and another time I didn't have time to look up the price and 'shot from the hip.' In both cases that I remember, I realized it after the customer had left the store.

Once in a while my customers will do me the favor of telling me what prices are in other stores. There are times when I'm a little higher and times when I'm lower. More recently I've found that I'm lower than some of the mass merchants and had to raise my prices.

The problem with this issue, however, is that they lower their prices at random and usually drop them to 'rock bottom' just before the season ends. This is done so as to make room for other types of inventory but has the effect of making a dedicated archery/PRO shop look very bad.[:@]
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

And some times he doesn't charge enough.LOL A few times I've helpedhim by putting price tags on some of Len's stuff. I tell him, this isn't enough for this Len, you should charge more. He always has some excuse for not. One day I thought I had him, but I was wrong. Who would have thunk there would have been such a difference in muzzleloader balls.[8D]

Me too RIck, I'm already planning my bi annual trips to Baltimore from upstateNYfor bow work. I figure I'll need to come a couple months before the season and then probably during the season for some "hair" tuning.

I used to do all my own stuff before I ran into Len's shop about 5 years ago. I made my own arrows and played for hours tuning and paper tuning and tuning broadheads. I'd take it somewhere every few years for cables. Well heck, now Len does it all for me in a matter of minutes really. He can lazer tune, level tune and paper tune a bow faster than I can get my targets out of the garage. The tedious task of tuning fixed broadheads is a no brainer when Len gets through with my bow. Either it flies or it's not going to. I have no problem getting all the arrows I need from a dozen when he's done. There's always a couple that are simply not good enough for hunting. As fun as it is tio tinker, there's a warm cozy feeling about knowing "YOU" have the resources of a great proshop go to. Never had that for 30 years and now I have one. Sure I'll make an annual pilgrimage to Maryland after I move. Len has folks mail him bow from California and Florida to work on.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had a pro shop locally to support. There was one, owner was a jerk, but one of the techs was a top 3D pro and was awesome with bows and tuning. They went out of business. There is one about 1 hour away that has one person there I will let work on my bow, but its a crap shoot to get there and find him there.

If one is local I buy everything from them, might cost a bit more, but usually the shipping charge offsets the slightly higher price, plus having someplace to go with questions or problems is worth it. Problem is when I feel like I know more about bows that the "expert" in the shop, we have a problem and I am picky about who touches my bow or my families bows.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 AM

About 6 years ago i was a gun "FANATIC"A friend had finally talked me into giving Bowhunting a chance.He let me have his "old bow" to play around with.This bow as not set up for me,i was just letting some arrows fly to see if i would like it.After about a week of shooting i decided Archery was for me.After talking my girlfriend into getting me a new bow for my Birthday,he drove me buy a place called "Macrotech".He told me that he had heard they were the best around.Every time i drove by and wanted to go in the parking lot was packed.I decided I would wait until the place was not as busy because i did not want to look like a dummy asking alot of dumb questions.Finally i drove by and i had my chance.I walked into his shop and Len stopped working on a customer bow,and i guess since he noticed i had never been in his shop,he walked from behind the counter and asked"May I Help You?"I replied "Whatis a good beginner bow?".He pointed to a few bows that he had hanging and told a bit about each one.I asked him which one he recommended,and he told me that he does not recommend "Brands"He let's the customer decide what is best for him or her.So i chose a few bows that wanted to shoot,And he set each one up and let me shoot each one.Long story shortI walked out with a beautifully shooting bow.Over the last5 years i have purchased a few more bowsfrom Len and have had the same great service.Since the first time i walked in Macrotech i have learned who Len is to the Archery business,and what he has done for it!!When I go into his shop,we will normally shoot the breeze about technically related stuff about archery(if he is not to busy).When you get him talking about what he knows about archery and bows all you can do is sit and "TRY" to take in as much knowledge as you can.I recently moved out of state and have no desire to tryand find a new shop.Macrotech will continue to be my shop!!!The title of this thread is"Define aPro Shop".If I had to define it on tuning ability alone, i would call Macrotech a "Pro Shop".If i had to define it on archery related knowledge alone ,I would call Macrotech a "Pro Shop".Combine those two with 1st class customer servive and you got yourself a winner!!!It is a shame that all archer's don't have this kind of expertise at their disposal.Get "MACROTIZED"today and shoot better tomorrow..
Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great post Len. As I read through your post I could almost "feel your pain". As I knowmany of youare aware I do not own my ownbusiness but I have been the personally solely responsible for running the archery section of one of the local hunting and fishingshops for the past several years.

We went through/are going through much the same type of scenario that Len related. We had a Cabelas and a D.I.C.K'S open up within a year of each other and within reasonable driving distance of the shop. Both were near fatal blows to the shop's archery department. It was only since June of this past year that archery sales and service started going back up to the levels they once were at. Sadly though the damage was done.

After 9/11 and the new stores opened he decided that the archery, fishing, etc.. wasn't providing enough of a profit for him to make a decent living. He started a second business unrelated to anything outdoors and is doing very well with it. The shop went up for sale but still functions much as it did before but with all of the work, upkeep and ordering left to the individual department "managers". After being in that position for the last few years I can honestly say that trying to run an archery shop is anything but easy.

My hat goes off to Len for sticking with it and continuing to provide a high level of service and expertise to his customers.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

All that is said so far I will agree with completely. I share the same experience and will add that the 'demand' will direct what a Shop should carry 'in stock' and what they will 'special order' for the target shooters/ hunters.

As Greg already mentioned, keeping abreast with the latest accessories, etc, that our archery industry spews out,is also very important. This is whya trip to the ATA show every year serves quite well. Along with the many magazines available, and not excluding our archery forums. There's always alot to learn out there!!!

A well stocked shop, including the basic varieties, this oneor that one, is a must. I clearly understand, having a business of my own, that it is impossible to carry everything; as the 'overheads' do dictate what our survival chances will be. Carrying stock ( and lots of stock can mean a staggering overdraft). As we may well know, the interest rate and charges on this, sometimes wipes out our profit. When this happens we are looking a trouble in the face.

A knowledgeable shop owner, who is keeping himself/herself updated with what is on the market, has a reasonable amountof stock and choices available, has the ability to special order and "GET" a customer's need within 7-10 days,or so, has a small range in the shop, good opening hours, acceptable customer service, comparable prices to an extent,a friendly and cleanatmosphere where we can shoot the breeze and talk about our hunting woes and joys, and has the 'tools' at hand for good bow tuning and repairs--will certainly serve my needs!!!
A coffee/tea perculator, water or pop beverage cooler a candy bar dispenser,can be added as a bonus .
Let's not forget the 'bragging board' for the kodak moments we will have!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 AM

First & foremost I'm not bashing the proshops, but I have just one question regarding proshops? Why is it that they must charge higher prices on accessories when u can get it for a third cheaper. I'm sorry, but I have to work very hard at saving $$ up for my hobby. A perfect example is, the local pro shop carries muzzy broadheads for $35. The exact same broadheads are $15-18 at the "big-box" stores. I would gladly & w/o hesitation spend my money @ a pro-shop if they matched the prices on thoseaccessories. I'm not sure why the price is expected to be so high for the same item. Another question is, why is it whenI'm spending a grand to purchase a bow they want to charge me $35 to set it up.I need to make my money go as far as possible, & what money I save, I will use to buy other items. I am willing to pay extra for thepros knowledge in fine tuning, repairs, etc. They are the experts, & should be compensated for that. I completely agree that some of the big box stores, Gandr Mtn, etc.(not Walmart)don't have the personnel w/the knowledge that the pro shops do. Nor would I expect them 2. Any insight to this?

Quick Reply: Define a PRO Shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.