Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 squirrell hunting w/ bow >

squirrell hunting w/ bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

squirrell hunting w/ bow

Old 12-29-2006, 02:36 PM

Default RE: squirell hunting w/ bow

shooting squirrels in your yard is good target practice but I don't think I would call it huntin'. They are a pest around the bird feeders and a bow is the perfect way to get rid of em quietly. you can also try stalking them after deer season goes out. It is awesome practice because it builds up all your deer huntin skills. The only bad part is losing arrows. Broadheads are out of the question because of money and they are just over kill. Your best bet is a small game head like the g5 or judo point. Both heads are built with prongs that keep the arrow from sliding under grass and leaves but won't tear up near as much meat as broadheads.

g5
JUDO

good luck

Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i use wooden arrows i use Magnus small game heads.Carbons or aluminums,field points or judo's

Magnus head

Old 12-29-2006, 02:46 PM

slim pickins - yea i know thats what i was saying, i wouldnt say it was hunting, but it can be fun and good practice. i just want to justify to myself a reason for killing these things instead of saying "i just want to kill some" lol and sound like a damn savage to myself (not that it matters). if i justify it in my head (good target practice, alright eating (trying something new)) etc, then it makes me feel better about killing them b/c atleast they are dieing for some cause you know, not just to kill them. also, which is kind of evil i guess lol, i would love to put some in my hunting photo album. im gonna try to fill it up with as many different animals as possible, i could have shot a red fox today, but i couldnt b/c i had a Ml and was deer hunting. thanks for the help buddy, it eases my mind a little to think other people shoot them in the backyard as well as me. when you shoot them in you yard, is your yard like humongousor do you live on a farm...? i live in a tight little community, but im sure shooting a bow in my back yard is appropriate - i hope, right? lol thanks again
Old 12-29-2006, 02:48 PM

ok so field tips (target points) are acceptable then right...
Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would make up some flu-flu arrows (lots of different ways to do this) and get some blunt or hex heads. I've heard of guys using .38 shells on wooden arrows. A judo point could get messy. Flu-flu's will keep you from shooting an arrow 300 yards and safely allow some shots up in the trees. You can make one by putting some glue on the front tip of some feathers (4 or 5") putting them in your jig and then marking where the back end would be. After the front dries, glue the remaining feather and glue it to where the next arrow would have ended, maintaining the same helical direction. This will put a severe twist in the feathers and slow the arrow down at about 40 yards or more. You can also glue a feather on and twist it backwards, barber pole style, up the end of the shaft. Makes something that looks like a chimney sweep.

I prefer friedrather than ingravy. Squirrel was also used in the original Brunswick Stews. Check your local game regs first for legalities. Have fun.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 PM

yea field tips are acceptable. i got 2 last year with them. the only thing is, if u hit it and dont kill it instantly it runs around with and arrow half way through it. they squeal pretty good when u do that. but it is really fun and it sharpens your shooting skills alot.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

i go squirrel "hunting" with my bow quite often. its really good target practice and they actually make special broadheads for small game. but if you dont want to buy them, then just use your field tips, they work just fine.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM
dws

Default RE: squirrell hunting w/ bow

Your best head is one of the cheap rubber blunt tips with the grippers on the face. They won't snake into the grass much if you miss. As far as eating squirrels, my favorite way is to steam them for about 10 minutes then roll them in flour and fry them in 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco. If you haven't eaten them that way, you don't know what you've been missing.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun2

ok so field tips (target points) are acceptable then right...
if you are shooting from a treestand you can use field points but if you are shooting from the ground the arrows will slide up under leaves and grass and you will loose everything. I have had pass through shots with field points on squirrels and they were able to run away. I have never lost a squirrel or an arrow while using a G5 or Judo point.

Good Luck,
Slim
Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 PM

i shoot prarie dogs (gophers) with my bow... we have an infestation of them out behind my yard... its great fun... got around 55 last year... dont eat them though[:'(]

Edit: as far as the tips go... i was using a big rubber blunt, we call them thumper blunts... it's about 1/2 to 5/8's'' of an inch in diameter on the end, i was STILL getting partial passthroughs... hehe

Quick Reply: squirrell hunting w/ bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.