Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking while hunting??? >

Smoking while hunting???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking while hunting???

Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Smoking while hunting???

i always smoke before i hunt but i do't smoke on stand anymore (why risk it?). in the past i've put a cigarette out and shot a deer less than a minute later. my dad has killed more than one deer while smoking, one of them a massive eight point that weighed 220 lbs. it's all about the wind! the deer will probably spook faster from human scent than from cigarette smoke.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
CDG

I smoke on stand all the time. Not as much as if im not hunting but i smoke.Just last week i had 4 yearling bucks come straightdown wind of me while i was smoking . None of them seem to get nervous about it.I understand they smell an unfamiliar smell but how can a deer associate cigarette smoke to a human?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:10 PM

My cousin smokes while hunting. It seems like it would ruin your chances but he shoots like 5 deer every year. I sure wouldn't though. Any smart deer is going to pick you off in a second once he smells that without a doubt. However, I have heard theories that deer don't get alerted by smoke, but I don't think it means cigarette smoke.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

This question comes up fairly often and I reply each time. I smoke while on stand, like someone said earlier, not like I would if I weren't hunting though. I take deer every year. Three, so far this year. A 6pt non-typical in Pa, an8pt from Albertawith my compound, and a doe with my CB also in Pa.I had a MONSTER 10pt B&C buck inside of 20yrds in Alberta but no shot opp. That's for the folks that say you'll never have a MATURE buck come in close if you smoke while on stand! Not bragging, just the facts.
Anyway, I don't condone smoking on stand [:@]but I must say I believe it's the movements associated with smoking rather than the smoke itself that gets hunters busted. Also, as I've said in the past, I don't believe deer know the diff between cigg smoke and that of someones fireplace. I don't think they (deer)associate it with humans either, unless they actually see it coming from one.
These are strictly my thoughts,experiances andobservations. Obviously open for debate, it always is.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

My dad smokes all the time while he hunts. I have been able to smell it when we were posting somewhat close. Deer still came right by us. I don't smoke at all
Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 PM

what do u all think about dipping or chewing in or out of a stand
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

paka, i quit 16 years ago but when i smoked i did not do it while hunting. I compare it to carrying a fresh oiled gun while hunting, there is going to be times you get busted from it. Tell ya what, im going to double dawg dare you to quit, i did it cold turkey after smoking for 9 years and by god you can toyou will pat yourself on the back and make others around you appreciate it. now have a happy new year and good luck on that new years resolution[8D]
Dan
ORIGINAL: paka

Ive bein hesitant to ask this one , but I need to.
How many of you all skoke before or durring hunting , ciggarets anyways?? I have shot goats and pigs in the mountains befor with smoke on my breath and clothes . Maybe Ive just bein lucky. Now My friend and I are doing no scent clothes and home brews , not smoking , andhavent really bein stumbling onto game[]So I'd thought Id throw this topic out and see what you all think and do. Im pretty sure of the responses this may generate but lets see.
Happy Holidays
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

I smoke as well. I always pay attention to the wind and try to limit it as much as possible. Heck on year while I was smoking in my stand a doe came up to check me out. I actually stood up in the stand and took a few pictures. She actually seemed interested with this bafoon smoking in his stand....haha till I shot her.

Some deer just arent that smart..some deer like the good bucks we dream about "got the smarts real good"

I smoke and I dont plan to quit anytime soon

Best of luck to you
Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 PM

I would just quit smoking, and then you wouldn't even need to worry about it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Anyway, I don't condone smoking on stand [:@]but I must say I believe it's the movements associated with smoking rather than the smoke itself that gets hunters busted.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one, a lot of arm movement to smoke. I also think it depends on where your hunting, if your deep in the mountains where deer don't smell everyday "people smells" it will alarm them more. If your hunting urban areas where the deer are used to "people smells" they may not be as alarmed.

I'm a smoker but neversmoke on my way to bowhunt or while in the stand. Gun season is a different story, the few days I gun hunt each year are usually so chaoticthe deer don't have time to worry about cig smoke. With that said, this year on the day before the gun opener my buddy and I went out to do some scouting and leave our climber on the trees we were going to hunt the next day. We took our bows in the event we got done early we could climb up and get a few hours in. I found my spot and climbed up into my tree with my bow, I had my smokes with me and I wasn't on a serious bowhunting trip. So once I got settled in I lit one up, 2 secs later my cell rings, wife is calling telling me to get milk on the way home. So I'm puffing away talking on my phone when I look to my left and there is a buck standing 30 yards away. I tell wifey bye bye and put out my cig. I stood up and noticed 3 doe were coming in to the right of me tree. Long story short an hour later I was dragging out a doe and a 6pt. Crazy evening in the woods and I did everything that I would normally never do while bowhunting.

I think you can smoke in stand and be successful, but I also agree with some of the other guys who said a mature buck isn't going to put up with it. Thats why I try to stay as scent free as possible when i bowhunt.

Quick Reply: Smoking while hunting???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.