Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking while hunting??? >

Smoking while hunting???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking while hunting???

Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoking while hunting???

It's not the smoke that ruins the hunt. I hunt using the wind. If they can smell my smoke... they got downwind, wind swirls and theyare smelling me. Game is over whether you smoke or not especially hunting on the ground.

I pass on 20 - 40 bucks a year waiting for a mature buck. I wish I could blame the smokes for eating tags over the years but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The mature bucks are just tougher to hunt.

Every once and a while I do have to put a smoke out to shoot one though.

Tim
Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I smoke a cigar after i hunt. I won't take a chance, but here is what I've been told. The smell of smoke is not really alarming to deer, it may even provoke some curiosity,however the smell of a human is an entirely diferent thing . The pheromones produced by your body scream PREDATOR, and that is what alarms them. Like I said I don't smoke on stand but do know people who consistantly kill deer and do smoke on stand.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

I take a pack and a can with me and regularly take game. The area's I hunt have been burned before and that must linger for years.
However as a courtesy to my non smoking parters will just dip when they are in the field with me
Hiking up and down mountain sides does take it's toll and cut way back as I am usually out of breath.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

try weed lol i know they will like it
Old 12-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have known guys who smoked on the stand and they usually killed deer - but they were never the ones who came into camp having taken a good deer. You have to think that the big ones don't need much excuse to slip off (especially the smell of smoke)!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 AM

WOW , I was really surprised to see all these replys.
. Dan , thanks for the idea and support , it would be realy nice to quit . But , theres always a but, Its in me to smoke something and atleast ciggarettes are legal . Lots of other worst things out there to smoke[&:].
One day goat hunting up in the mountains I sat down , ate a cupple hard boiled eggs , banana , and smoked a ciggarette. What do you know , here comes a billy , downwind , coming right to me from about 120 yards out . I dont know why he did it , but he came right to me 30 yards and just stared. And that was it. He got curious I think . You all heard that one right" curriousity killed the goat" .
Well not to smoke cant hurt, Would be great for your health , but what if it covered up alarming human scent ? HMMMMMM
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Native Americans used to stand next to a smoky fire and cover themselves with mud, This ritual was probably to cover the human scent.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 AM

don't worry how it will affect your hunting - worry more about how you're going to battle cancer or how you're going to cope with knowing you contributed to one of your loved ones getting cancer

smoking is one of the STUIPIDEST things a person can do - period
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Buster T

don't worry how it will affect your hunting - worry more about how you're going to battle cancer or how you're going to cope with knowing you contributed to one of your loved ones getting cancer

smoking is one of the STUIPIDEST things a person can do - period
Good post! You will probably get blasted for it. Because the smokers don't want to hear the truth.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey if you don't smoke, your not entitle to an opinion in this thread.

Quick Reply: Smoking while hunting???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.