HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??
Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

That may have sounded harsh, Dave.....but I DO think people regard a "complete pass-thru" with some "macho-ness" either for themselves or their bow. Call me a skeptic (and I mean no malice in this observation).

I ONLY know the deer I've tracked. I saw 2 deer die right below me, this season.....and the blood was unbelievable. Like I said....I pretty much stuck these 2 to the ground.....and I'm not really sure if it would have passed thru or not. I knocked them down (where they stood)......and put another arrow in them within seconds. The first buck I took had a very sparse blood trail for much of it......and the arrow had penetrated the off side shoulder (never found the BH end.....but the fletching end protruded the entrance wound when he left my set). The best shot I made all year .........there was NO blood trail (I saw this deer go down about 60 yds away). My best deer of /06 was a complete pass-thru.......and I was scared to death at the MINIMAL amount of blood I had to track him by. It was a perfect hit......but blood was extremely minimal. I was surprised to find him within 40 yds.

These conversations and these different aspects of the entire hunting "experience".......I find fascinating. I never thought tracking would be as much of an adventure as I've found it to be.

Jeff