Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A starter buck?

Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A starter buck?

Now, I'm new to archery and hunting all together. I started hunting in 2004 after i completed my hunters safety course with a 97, highest in the class. I've been interested in hunting since i was very little. I've been watching deer and going on deer hunts with my dad for a few years before this.

I started bow hunting career with a crossbow because of the fact that i wasnt able to pull back a compound and wanted to wait a few years untill i started shooting compound. So far my archery season has been up and down. I started my hunting career strictly shotgun, harvesting my only deer with a shotgun. I never realised how awesome it is to bowhunt. It's such an experience having deer 20 yards up to right underneath your stand! I've never been more at peace with nature than i have been watching deer feed under my stand on a cool frosty morning overlooking a feild. It's some of the coolest experiences i've had yet. It's really somthing watching the deer that you plan to harvest so close to you. I could see the deer's breath, hear it eat, watch it respond to every other move out in the woods it calls home.

My archery career is going slow so far though. I waited a few long weeks before deciding to "attempt" to harvest a mature doe with my xbow. I was confident in my shot. I had a great rest and she was 15 yards away. Rut was in full swing and the deer were very jumpy but she was quartering away slighty looking the opposite direction. I took aim and fired. She jumped in the air and the arrow went clean underneath her. It was hard swallowing down the fact that i missed and i was tore up about it for days.

I've been on the search for the perfect shooter buck, you know the one. 130" or better, tall tines, great mass? I havent found him yet but i've seen plenty of good 110 class bucks that, looking back on, i should have taken. It's coming to a close on the 2006 season and i'm eating my tags. I passed a few good bucks, knowing that the big one is out there somewhere... you just have to wait for him. I've decided that not everyone needs to be the perfect trophy hunter their first couple of years or ever. As long as your happy with your deer it's good. I personally think that if your new or you want that "trophy buck" it's going to come, dont waste years of hunting hours on the stand searching for him. I'm in the midewest, the great state of ohio, one of the best hunting land around for bucks. I know they're there. I just havent found them. would you guys agree that it's ok to shoot a few smaller bucks before you go for the monster? How did you start out? Were your first bucks monsters and you've continued on that path or did you start out with a few small 4's or spikes and move up to trophy bucks?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Default RE: A starter buck?

My first couple years I didn't expect to shoot a buck, let alone a big buck. I wanted to get a deer or two under my belt before I tried my luck on an antlered deer.

I'd taken several does before this season, so I set my sights this year on a buck.

The friend that I just got into archery is going into next season the same way I went into my first. Nothing with spots, but don't expect a trophy.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot the deer that makes you happy. Forget about whatever anyone else says. As long as you have a good shot..take it. Be happy with your decision and welcome to the fraternity.

They're are so many different aspects to bowhunting. Getting a shot is only a small portion of it as a whole. You still have to draw back at the right moment(not too soon.. not too late), place the arrow correctly (shot placement), aim and steady (while your heart races). And then you have to wait (if neccasary) before you even track the animal.

Don't wait for a giant.. start smaller. You will learn faster.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I take it you're a crossbow shooter. OK, we won't make jokes. My advice to the newbie hunter who hasn't shot a deer with the bow. SHOOT ONE or two and then you can decide you want to become a "Trophy hunter". Just shoot something. I suspect you're still a bundle of nerves and see things differently that many of us would in the same situation. For example, deer don't JUMP UP at the sound of a bow going off. Their first reaction is to DROP, loading their legs to get out of Dodge. It's done in one quick fluid motion with maybe a twist or turn away from the danger too. If your arrow passed under the deer I suspect you flat missed or the arrow went past and then she bolted. 15 yards is a Slam Dunk. The deer isn't getting out of the way of that arrow. It's going to hit her somewhere if you're on target.Most assuredly, she isn't jumping over it before it gets there unless she was already moving before you shot. Back to the trophy. Shoot a couple deer, any deer as long as it's not a fawn I'd say. You do that it'll give you confidence and settle the gremlins before the macho buck shows up. AFter all, he may not right away.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

you shoot whatever deer you want to legally take.there's way too much emphasis on taking "book buck" anymore.a few years ago,i shot a button buck because it gave me the shot i wanted to take.and at 1st i felt a little guilty but then i thought to myself--"that was a great shot,it dropped within 20ft and the meat is gonna be great"--nothing to be ashamed of
Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started small

Old 12-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Then got a little bigger

Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

C'mon squirrel, waiting for a 130+ deer for your 1st is cheating yourself. I considered myself extremely lucky that my 1st deer with a bow had any horns at all.
I've seen your posts in the CB forum and I know you can hit what you're shooting at, so if your missing deer at 15yrds you may be getting The Fever. If this is the case you really shouldn't be waiting for buckzilla to step out.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thinking back on it tschaef, i probbably should have passed the shot. I was shaking really bad and it took atleast 4 minutes to get calmed down enough for the shot. Is there any way toget calm when a deer comes in? I shake like a dog poopin razor blades!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell ya right now anything you get with a bow the first time is going to be better than getting a vette for christmasDont get caught up in the trophy thing already. You seem like an honest person and your post got my respect. as for the uncontrollable shakes, thats what keeps you comming back for more, nothing like an adreniline rush I seem to have a better grip on that part now, i guess it comes with age but after the shot i still get tore up and can hear my heart beat when i breath. I cant even began to tell you about the hardships i had when i was a young hunter and how long it took for me to even take a deer, most people would have quit. I still get a rush from having deer so close when bowhunting and even taking a doe is still special and exciting. My first was a doe then an 8 point then some spikesand other 1 1/2 olds for many years.i was cursed with 3 points for awhile and then started getting some really nice bucks latter on. I now trophy hunt and am teaching my kids the roaps. They have it made[8D] Get out there and get that first one man, trust me you wont regret it. I have not regreated any of the deer i have taken over the years and would do it all over again. Good luck, now do it!!
Dan

Quick Reply: A starter buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.