Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need recommendation on light climber >

Need recommendation on light climber

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need recommendation on light climber

Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need recommendation on light climber

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

ORIGINAL: nodog

I see they still don't pack very flat and those cables look like a real joy going down a steep ridge. Ya got some strap thing happen'n as well. (your straps showing)
You could try the truck thing if you want it flatter. [8D]

I'm only 5'4" so for 'normal' sized hunters the stand is fairy small. I haven't had any trouble with the cables snagging up on stuff. It could be due to my gazelle like grace while moving through the woods. (hahahahaah... oh, I kill me)

I did slip on a hillside and landed on my butt and the treestand sort of stuck me into place. Kept me from ending up in the bottom of the ravine.

The stand is also slightly wider than me so sometimes I get stuck trying to pass between two saplings that I could normally squeeze through. (nothin' but grace I tell you) I've about got that one figured out.

I do think that the Lone Wolf climber is the best but this stand is lighter (a tiny bit) and 130.00 cheaper.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

the summit open shot is a nice stand but is a little more difficult to climb than your average climber.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:20 PM

I have a summit viper and I really like how stable of a stand it is and how comfortable it is when sitting for long periods of time. What I didn't like was the way it packed . Summit makes great stands but they failed when they put those uncomfortable straps on it. I purchased a millitary (Mollie) shoulder and waist stap system off ebay and it makes packing the viper a breeze.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM

Well i have the open shot and i love it. I have pretty much hunted out of it every time this year and (not bragging) but i havce hunted alot this year. Its very light and easy to carry.
I have not had any trouble with the cables or straps getting stuck.
its VERY quite and i think easy to climb with.
Also its easy to pack up.

Like it takes me 15 minutes to leave the woods

Thats lowering my bow
unscrewing my hook
undoing my strap that holds me to the tree
unstarpping the top part of the stand from the tree
climbing down
packing up the stand
wind up my rope
get my stand on my back
grab my bow and start walking

now that might be a long time to do all that but i think 15 minutes is pretty good.

But i HIGHLY recomend the OPENSHOT!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you guys so much. It sounds like the Openshot may be my best bet. I dont have a big beer belly so I should be OK, (maybe just a little). Anyway my current climber isn't a sit and stand style, it like the openshot but the top piece has the bar all the way around it. I should be in shape enough to climb with it. Im just afraid at 6'4" it may be a little to small for me.

Just so ya'll know- when I say pack it in, I mean I will be walking a while, not 1/2mile. Probably will be carried in well over a mile on many occasions in the warm Arkansas archery season.

I will also look into the other stands, however Im not really considering anything close to 20 lbs. cause my current one is a really good stand just a little heavy on those long walks. I was in mine today and was actually thinking about cutting the front out of the top section making it open in the front, my legs are almost too long for it. It kinda gets in the way of my knees sometimes.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.