Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need a recommendation

Old 12-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a recommendation

Looking for anyone who has hunted Elk or Muleys in ANY state and would recommend that outfitter.
Thanks
Old 12-31-2003, 11:09 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need a recommendation

OUTDOOR, I prefer to hunt unguided , but I did hook up with Larry Bishop of ROCKY MT RANCHE"S last year and paid a tresspass fee to hunt one of his ranche's, he told me exactly what to expect and didn't exagerate and everything he said was accurate, also I spoke to 2 hunter's that he had guided and they said he worked hard to get their bull's. If you're a trophy hunter than you are doing your homework the right way , however if you just want to have a great adventure consider doing it on your own, there's lot's of good public land in Colorado, good hunting
Old 01-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

NM Gila Wilderness Lonesome Dove Outfitters (505)533-6533. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Outdoor,

I also hunted with Rocky Mountain Ranches (they have a web site) as refered to by usa. Myself and a buddy went on a tresspass hunt for mule deer on one of his ranches, in Oct. 2003. Even though the weather was hot for that time of year, we probably saw between 50 to 100 deer every day, with 15 or so being bucks. We paid for 5 days, semi-guided. Mr Bishop gave us two extra days free because of the heat, we didn't need them because we connected of our fifth day. We had decided to hold off shooting until we reached our 4th or 5th day (of course if a monster trophy had showed we wouldn't have held off). If you are ever interested in antelope the ranch he had us on had hundreds, wished I had been there during the antl. season. There is a hunter that lives near my home that has hunted these ranches for elk, mule deer, and antelope and connected each time.

I'm planning on going back elk hunting in 2004, I will be hunting on public land. I know my chances are slim of connecting, but I'm determined to at least try. Contact the Chamber of Commerce and the BLM office in Craig, Co for info in the Craig area. The folks in these offices bent over backwards trying to help us plan a hunt for 2004. We got to Craig 2 days early and went by these offices and had time to drive up into some the areas they recommended. Of course you've got to remember, if they was that nice and helpful to us, they are to everybody. But at least they gave us a starting point.

I don't know where you will be traveling from but if interested in how much it cost us just send me an email and I'll be glad to tell you what we spent on everything for the trip and hunt.

Wish You Luck,
dog1
Old 01-01-2004, 06:29 PM
usa
Fork Horn

dog1, which ranch did you hunt in 2003 ? the antelope hunt sounds great, I hunted northwest of Craig on the old becket ranch and also said I would not shoot the first day, but after I let the 7th buck go by I had to shoot the 8th, oh well, maybe I can hold off next year for a 26+ incher. The heat was brutal and my drag was about 200 yds thru high sage, thought I would die by the time I got to my truck,
Old 01-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted mule deer with Flatwillow Creek Outfitters in Winnett Montana this fall. There were nine guys in camp (four had antelope tags). By the end of the second day, all tags were filled. This outfitter hunts on well over 100,000 acres of private land, and there are deer and antelope everywhere.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM

Dog1 or USA

Do you have a web address for Rocky Mountain Ranches in Colorado?
I would like to contact them about a hunt.
Bob