Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need recommendation on light climber >

Need recommendation on light climber

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need recommendation on light climber

Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need recommendation on light climber

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

hillbilly archer, you need to read the specs again. That 11.5 lb. model W & W you are looking at is just the climbing aid! Put that together with one of the platforms and you are carrying either 24 lbs. or 22 lbs. depending on the model!!!!

My preferences :
Lone Wolf Sitnclimb
Summit
Loggy Bayou Stalker XL(untalked about but very underrated IMO)
Way to be heads up! (can never find that thumbs up thing whenI want it).

6/4 220. Come on man, bear down. I took the one I wanted and striped it down to only what I needed. Nothing says you have to use it the way it comes.As long as it's safe. I cut off 2/3 of the seat, various straps and buckles and may cut some of the webbing out of the base. I added an ergo mat so it's possible to do. Keeps my feet warm and quiet. It's just like a mouse pad but bigger and thicker. I could always have some thing welded back in. I'm sure you could lighten up the one you have now. Grind some teeth off the summit, cut the seat back. You were enough close for a back rest. Start hacking
Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

That summit looks pretty nice. I have a Lone Wolf and it is really light and compact. Its pretty comfotable too...
Old 12-09-2006, 01:56 PM

I went with an Ameristep Non-Typical this year and it's pretty nice. It only weighs 21lbs and it's not to bad to walk with.It does seem a littlelarge in overall size though. All in all I have been happy with it and I know it won't be stollen since I can't leave it.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

look at timbertall stands
Old 12-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Gorilla, light and very comfortable. It is very compact as well!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have API Grandslam and Summit Viper climbers, both weigh about the same here are some differences:

API packs much smaller
Summit is more comfy
API platform "seems" larger
Summit is super solid in the tree

I like them both but only the API goes on the 1 mile+ hikes. I am 6'1" 190lbs (I used to be 220lbs).

Jim

Old 12-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Summit Openshot.

It's very light and easy to carry. It climbs pretty easy and is rock solid. I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a big beer belly or really out of shape as it's a hand climber.

I will also adviseagainst backing over it with a 3/4 ton truck. [:-]

Here I am striking a pose with it. [8D]

The Lone Wolf Climber is an awesome stand too.Almost as light, quieter and packs down smaller, but I was too cheap to buy one.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I have the Summit Openshot.

It's very light and easy to carry. It climbs pretty easy and is rock solid. I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a big beer belly or really out of shape as it's a hand climber.

Here I am striking a pose with it. [8D]
I see they still don't pack very flat and those cables look like a real joy going down a steep ridge. Ya got some strap thing happen'n as well. (your straps showing)
Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Lone Wolf...thats all you need to know
Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nodog

I see they still don't pack very flat and those cables look like a real joy going down a steep ridge. Ya got some strap thing happen'n as well. (your straps showing)
You could try the truck thing if you want it flatter. [8D]

I'm only 5'4" so for 'normal' sized hunters the stand is fairy small. I haven't had any trouble with the cables snagging up on stuff. It could be due to my gazelle like grace while moving through the woods. (hahahahaah... oh, I kill me)

I did slip on a hillside and landed on my butt and the treestand sort of stuck me into place. Kept me from ending up in the bottom of the ravine.

The stand is also slightly wider than me so sometimes I get stuck trying to pass between two saplings that I could normally squeeze through. (nothin' but grace I tell you) I've about got that one figured out.

I do think that the Lone Wolf climber is the best but this stand is lighter (a tiny bit) and 130.00 cheaper.

Quick Reply: Need recommendation on light climber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.