Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite "spot"to hunt >

Favorite "spot"to hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite "spot"to hunt

Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Favorite "spot"to hunt

buckeyebuckhntr's thread on what our hunting areas are like got me to post this. Whether you have lots of acreage or smaller parcels, do you have one specific small area or spot of which you consistently see and take more deer?

For example, within the last 10 years I have one specific small wooded area that has produced more deer than any other and in all honesty is the easiest. Easier because most deer traveling to and from the bedding/feeding areas must funnel through this 100 yard wide woods unless they want to be seen in the open. Year after year the same trails are generally used, and in late fall a nearby pasture with cattle provides some end of year grazing for the deer. Its better suited for morning hunting because the east end is used for an afternoon bedding area in late season due to heavy hunting pressure from a large wooded tract and riverbottom also to the east. I also hunt this small area at specific times and its best suited when the wind is from the east or south.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Favorite "spot"to hunt

I have killed 3 deer with a bow in the past 2 years. ( My entire bowhunting career to date) All of them came out of an oak grove that protrudes into a pasture. The grove measures 100yds by 40yds. and I see deer there more than anywhere else on the 400 acre lease. Last year I got a doe from the ground. This year I blew an opportunity at a nice 8pt from the ground. I get in the trees now and have taken another doe and a spike this year.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite spot to hunt is my lucky tree. It is just on the edge of the bedding area and a lot of mature bucks can be caught cruzing the area during the rut. Weve taken two big ones out of that tree this year.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one ridge, that I have bowkilled 2 bucks off of. One officially grossed in the 180s 8x7 2003and the other officially grossed in the 160's 6x6 2005and I have a buck on film from this year that is pushing 170... anyway...seems like when I kill one in there another moves in and takes over the big thicket and feeding area. Obtw..that ridgeawarded me two rifles in the local big buck contests..fun getting those rifle hunters with a bow! ...

Its abig mountain but those bucks really like using that ridge...to and from a secluded food source to the bedding thicket, they can hole up in that thicket with plenty of browse too. The thicket is a 50 acre tangle of the nastiest most impenetratable mess of blow downs and brushesI have ever tried crawling through... the winds in there work perfectly to the deers advantage in regards to their morning and evening feeding routes. I have found two huge sheds in there, one off of my 03 buck and another thats a perfect 7x side typical ...I have never seen the 7x buck.

Looking for photos of those sheds.... will add them when I find them..

Old 12-07-2006, 03:23 PM

I've got a little corner of the woods that is always productive. It's an inside corner where a draw feeds out into the main wood. Right at the junction is always a great place to see deer. Well, not only deer, but just about anything else as well. The smarter I've learned to hunt that spot the better it gets.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

My honey hole, 25 years of bowhunting the same property has me narrowed down to two trees. I have 3 bucks on my wall and one I'm waiting for all were shot within eye sight of where my two stands hang and I've shot others that we not mounted here. That's why my stands hang where they hang.

I have one other spot I call the hollow. It's been very, very good to me over the years. I save it for the rut, or just prior to it.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have not killed a lot of deer. I hunted with a bow a lot of years ago but just got back into it the last few years. I still hunt the same tree I hunted 30 years ago. I see deer all but every trip, it's a small wood lot, houses are in eyesight but my legs don't work like they once did. I'm not about killing deer anymore. I just enjoy being out there. Oh, my tree is a superb specimen of a white oak.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Two favorite spots:

1)An area where 4 types of habitat come together at one point forming a 50 yard wide pinch point. Row crop, switchgrass, a swamp and hardwoods. Always see deer.

2) Apinch point betweentwo bedding areasalong a wide drainageditch in a riverbottom. Seen several P&Y bucks, one B&C buck andlots of small bucks and does.
<=== It's where I got that guy earlier this year.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Mines about 30 yeards from a HUGE swamp, Far drag thought
Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Yes i deffently do. And i hunted there tonight!! Its a woods about 200yds wide and about 300yds long with a huge corn feild to the west side meadow to the east and its basicly a funnle for deer to travle into this other woods that it conects to.
But back in october i hunted it for the first time and saw over 20 deer and shot a nice buck.
this past saturday saw again over 20 deer but no shots.
Monday i saw again over 20 and passed on 2 small doe.
then tonight saw about 12 and passed on 2 button bucks and one small doe.

I can only shoot does now though since i already shot a buck but im lookin fora mature doe now

Quick Reply: Favorite "spot"to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.