Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ? on hunting in Indiana >

? on hunting in Indiana

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? on hunting in Indiana

Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? on hunting in Indiana

ORIGINAL: sk74ford

It depends on where you want to hunt. I live in Southwest Indiana and there is some public hunting ground. Everytime I go to public land it is overwelmed with people. So I usually stick to private property. But Hoosier National Forest has some good land if you are close to it. I am not to familiar with Northern Indiana. But down here the hunting is pretty good.
I'm from Northern Indiana, hunt in Noble county. Not really any fantastic public hunting ground, but if you can get on solid private, you're set for a good hunt.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 PM

ya im in the northeast part and you are screwed if you are hunting public around here there aint nothing. like said before, if you can get some good private ground then you would be better off. we have had some big deer taken from around here lately.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM

I live in northern indiana and there is some public land to hunt. If you want to hunt public land where there isnt alot of people, this isnt the place. Its crazy how many people are out there. If you can find private land to hunt take it. I hunt private land and there are some good deer on it. There has been some big deer taken around my area this year.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm from Elkhart and I've found decent hunting during BOW seasons on public land, but if anyone thinks I'm getting within 20 miles of public land during firearms season they're crazier than I am. The previous two posts are true in that the best hunting is on private land in the northern 1/3 of the state, for deer anyway.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some places recommended to me. I haven't been to any of them so don't rag on me, but If I do go, I'll start at some of these.

"Hoshier state forest Indiana-
I hunt SE Lagrange
Huntinton and Salamonie both have good deer populations on them
Kingsbury is loaded with does,,(meat for the freezer).. Lots and lots of them in there.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properties/reservoirs.html
Kingsbury, Willow Slough or lasalle
Let you in on a little known secret. Next time you visit one of the F&W areas pick up a booklet with maps of the Indiana Wetlands areas. Some are not large in size but are not hunted heavy in archery season but do hold deer and offer public access. There are two out by Laporte managed by Kingsbury. A rather large one down by Plymouth also. Don't overlook KKK F&W area either, north of hwy 8 park by the bridge campground and boat ramp head up river. A couple fire lanes cross that area plus the north south main ones on either side.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/HATG_0607/HATG0607_20-34.pdf

You guys are overlooking the best chance at getting all the does you want. I will be the first to let you all in on a little secret. Go north..... urban zones......bow hunting only......contact the big businesses. The old American Bridge Co has tons of deer there so does US steel. They will want you to sign a liability release, just to protect them from getting sued.
Yes there are feral pigs in the Norman area. How many of you guys are old enough to remember when it was Norman Station the railroad stop?
I wouldn't doubt that there are some around the Norman area. We have killed a good number of wild hogs in the Leesville area, not far from the...lets say "release point". Wehave also captured a good number of babies, so the spreading of the hogs could be very easlily done.
I live and hunt in Switzerland County. I have seen more mature bucks on our property this year than ever. It seemed that they quit moving during the entire gun season. They are just now starting to go into the fields again.

Re: Anyone hunting Jackson State forest?

« Reply #1 on Dec 8, 2006, 2:29pm »
I dont hunt there but have in the past. Shouldn't be alot of pressure come muzzleloader season and good deer in the area. Its Hilly so be prepared for a workout.. "
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

There's also thje Ferdinand state forest, and potaka lake resvoir. Ihave a freind who hunts there he seems to take some nice bucks thier and lots and lots of doe's
Old 01-04-2007, 09:11 PM

I do the majority of my hunting at Mississinewa Resevoir near Marion. I've seen quite a few deer this year including a couple of nice bucks. Early archery is the best time to see them though, after shotgun season it's tough hunting.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

You can link up on this sitehttp://www.state.in.us/dnr/

Our bow season goes out the 7th if your looking at this year.

what county you going to hunt in?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Lots of deer in Indiana