Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3-D shooting Help/Info >

3-D shooting Help/Info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3-D shooting Help/Info

Old 12-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3-D shooting Help/Info

Hey all,
I want to get started in shooting some 3-D tourny's or competitions. Right now i'd just be using my current hunting setup. I know a bunch of you shootIBO stuff, and im looking for some guidance as to getting involved.

But im cluesless as to how to get started, what qualifications do i need and where/when can i start? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 3-D shooting Help/Info

I'm not who you're probably seeking info from.....but I'll say that I wanted to shoot some 3D stuff, last year, too. My bow shop has tournaments on Friday nights, starting right after deer season ends. That's what I do.....and that's all the competition Im looking for.

I'd check your local shop....and also see if they have a bulletin board. Our state Bowhunter's Assoc. also lists the tournaments they're sponsoring.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if your looking for info on equipment or on how to find events. First of all, speak with the guys at your local shop. They should be able to help you find the local clubs that have 3D events. There is more than likely a local league that several clubs have joined that will have weekly events in your area.

For IBO events, you don't need anything to shoot in local IBO shoots other than an IBO membership which can be bought from www.ibo.net. I believe you can even shoot the state championship event in IBO without qualifying. To qualify for the IBO Worlds, you need to attend a qualifier event and place in the top twenty. With your hunting rig you would want to probably shoot in hunter class which is 35 yards and closer, and restricts you to a sight with 4 or less pins that is not movable (no sliders), stabilizer shorter than 12", and arrows that must have screw in points and vanes 4" or shorter.

Have fun, it's addicting..........
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the help, sounds like my hunting rig will work... time to find some events then!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not the bow, it's the shooter. I've won many 3D competitions with my hunting setup, even against open class (scope/lens) shooters in team shoots and non sanctioned shoots. Being a great 3D shooter needs two things, judging distance correctly and hitting where your aiming, okay 3, knowing where the scoring rings are but that's it. If you can judge distance and know where to hit and hit it, you'll score well.

I also firmly believe that 3D shooting will make you a better hunter/shooter.

Dot or paper shooting will make you a better 3D shooter because you have to hit what your aiming at even if you get the distance right. They all go hand in hand. I've seen some great dot shooters stink at 3D cause they couldn't judge distance. I've seen some great distance judgers that stink cause they can't hit what their aiming at.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting 3D this year for the first time and it is addicting. Theshop I go to has an awesome course (Blue Ridge Backwoods, Monticell0 IL) in the sumer and they have a 40 yard indoor as well. There is no doubt in my mind that shooting the outdoor course made me a better shot whileout hunting. Also, I shoot my hunting rig and do very well. We do alot of RWS shooting (real world scenario) which means we aim more for the perfect shot on a live animal than for the 12 ring, except in tournies of course. Your hunting rig will be just fine though for shooting. Shooting in the tournies made me much more comfortable with my bow, so I would certainly encourage you to get out.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 AM

I glad you asked this question Ed.

My club is having a 3-D shoot coming up on the 16th of this month. I was thinking about trying it out. I need to get more info about it though as it will be my first.

I only have 6 or 7 good arrows. I guess I need to buy more of those.

Is it a good idea to see what brand of targets they will be using? I don't have a range finder either. I don't even know if they allow those anyway.

BTW: Not trying to hi-jack your thread. Just trying to get info to benefit us both.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 AM

I loved shooting 3D and indoor, till i got target panic because of doing it. I tried so hard to win that it took the fun out of it, so keep that in mind too. But, it is a lot of fun. Go to your shop and they should have dates on when shoots are. You might even find some guys from on here to go shoot with. I met up with two guys from here a few years ago and had a blast.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't rule out 3D tournaments, but for now you just need to get your feet wet so local shoots will get you started. What rules about equipment? It varies sometimes from club to club unless it's an IBO or ASA qualifier.

Your hunting equipment should be good enough for now. You have to start somewhere. You might later on get some arrows and change your setup strictly for 3D (lighter arrows and such). For now the idea is to get started and have fun with it. And if and when it isn't fun anymore then quit.

When you first start try to keep things comfortable. Most places range finders are not allowed. Depending on who you're shooting with, if you're not comfortable with a shot because it's too long or whatever ask to move up. You're not out there to lose and/or destroy arrows. That'll happen anyway over time. Don't let your ego get in the way of common sense.

That last sentence is a good one. Some of us guys have several bows. I know I have too many. One is a dedicated 3D outfit. And I got a new one coming. Nothing like walking up to shooting stake with a couple grand worth of gear on ya----and missing. LOL.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 AM

dont get bogged down with the pencil pushing punks that go to these things. Go, enjoy it and don't stress out about trying to win all the time. You will probably be able to tell who these people are after a couple of shoots. I always like to follow the pencil pusher guys. I always though it was amazingthat theywould score 298 out of 300 and on there second target you hearthere arrow bounceing off of trees. Have fun, keep learning, and good luck.