Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Odd story

Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Odd story

I don't know if anyone heard about this last year but it happend in Central Minnesota. A teen was bowhunting one day and had a nice buck come into him, well he drew back and nailed it, but never found the deer even after countless hours of searching! Well forward to the next bowseason. He was out hunting in the same area as the year befor and had two bucks come into him well he shot at the one and ended up getting him but when his arrow passed through it got the other buck as well. Well turns out he kills both deer and rocovers them, well when he is dressing one of the deer he finds a broken arrow shaft in the deer and it turns out that it is his same deer from the year before that he never found! I though this was an intresting story and wanted to share it with you. I tried to find the artical but to no avail, sorry. If anyone has heard this story or knows of the article please share!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Odd story

Thats pretty cool , at least he recoverd every buck he shot even though it took a year to get one of them.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Would you eat a deer with a bad infection? He must have been really bad if the shaft was there all year long. I shot one with a slug in the hind quarter from the year before. I couldn't do it. I got rid of the whole deer.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Bartender

Has to be longest recovery in history? Neat story thanks.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting 2 deer with one shot, is that legal there, not to mention very unethical to shoot when there is that possiblity.

There was an article in Bowhunter magazine that was similiar. A gentleman shot a trophy bull elk. He never found it. The following year he shot another trophy bull in the same area. When field dressing the bull he found mass, upon autopsy he found a piece of an arrow shaft and broadhead, his from the year before......amazing thing is, it was only 2" away from the lethel blow....imagine, 2"......
Old 12-03-2006, 08:18 AM

Fieldmouse
Would you eat a deer with a bad infection? He must have been really bad if the shaft was there all year long. I shot one with a slug in the hind quarter from the year before. I couldn't do it. I got rid of the whole deer.
After a year with the deer still alive I wouln't worry at all about infection. Especially not in the hind-endsince hisintial shot was in the thorax. Also the body has good defense mechanism's that will wall-off a foreign object. I would eat the deer.With you situation I maycut out the coupleinches around the slug ineach direction and discard that.

I was cleaninga deer this year and he had either been shot with a weak bow or had gotten in a fight and you could see the recent wound in the Chest wall at his 10-11 rib. But it didn't get into the chest cavity. He taste great.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting 2 deer with one shot, is that legal there, not to mention very unethical to shoot when there is that possiblity.
If I killed two bucks with one shot with my bow the only artical that woulda made the paper woulda been about me poaching a deer.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 AM

i dont know if i would eat the deer one of my friends shot a buck too far back and couldn't recover it and about a week later his neighbor shot it and the deer was so infected that it's hair was coming off it
Old 12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I don't know for sure but I am guessing that he probably used his fathers buck tag or something to that nature! Party hunting is legal here in MInnesota.
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There was an article in Bowhunter magazine that was similiar. A gentleman shot a trophy bull elk. He never found it. The following year he shot another trophy bull in the same area. When field dressing the bull he found mass, upon autopsy he found a piece of an arrow shaft and broadhead, his from the year before......amazing thing is, it was only 2" away from the lethel blow....imagine, 2"......
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy...