Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kid shot "my" deer...... >

Kid shot "my" deer......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kid shot "my" deer......

Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Kid shot "my" deer......

I've never had an encounter with them.....but I try to stay away from Grandpa's house when rifle season opens. On that COMPLETELY CLEAR one acre Gramps owns......there's a house....a driveway.....a barn.....and one big tree in the front yard. That's it.

Call me skeptical.

Dad also killed a big 8-pointer.....but it was a deer I'd never seen before (I saw a photo of the 8.....I haven't seen the photo of the 10, yet). Yes...I have a FAIRLY intimate knowledge of who's doing what, where. that's why I keep my son out of that area, too. And NO....MY landowner is this kid's great uncle (owns the land I hunt the most). I have SOLE permission to hunt the land I do. Grandpa, dad and junior are not allowed on the land I hunt (by word of the landowner). i think you all can see why I might not be excited for Jr.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so confused here. There is no such thing as 'my deer' unless it is a pet, it can't walk, can't jump fences, don't chase does, don't travel from bedding areas to food plots, don't travel miles a night during the rut. Am I missing something here?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM

So since the one acre is cleared, they were basically hunting on property that only you have permission to be on. Yes????

This seems like a sticky situation to me since this is a family thing. Those guys obviously feel they can hunt there. Just lick your wounds and try to get past it. Since family is involved, if you stir the pot too much you may find yourself on the outside looking in and that would really stink since it sounds like a great place to hunt.

You'll be fine.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a deer once, I named him Leroy.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: zubba

This reminds me of a post someone once told me....

A deer isn't owned until it is dead.
And tagged.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have named a few deer over the years, only to have them renamed mine by someone else! It sucks.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: zubba

I'm so confused here. There is no such thing as 'my deer' unless it is a pet, it can't walk, can't jump fences, don't chase does, don't travel from bedding areas to food plots, don't travel miles a night during the rut. Am I missing something here?
I think you are missing something. I highly doubt that this 10 pointed walked onto the 1 acre. I know where he means after being there. I'm really certain the grandchild (unknown age, remember a grandchild could be 20+) was either on, or watching and shot into propery he didn't have permission to do so, there fore even in a legal season, that's called poaching.

A poacher should never be condoned.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't really see what;s so confusing. I think I spelled it out pretty well.

Whats happened is this 19 yr old kid trespassed onto land he SPECIFICALLY does NOT have permission to be on (and has been told to stay OFF of by his great uncle) and killed an animal that Iv ebeen legally pursuing for over a year, now.

that deer is NOT "mine".....but he could be legally harvested by me. At least he could HAVE.

I don't begrudge children or adults who take game in a legal and ethical manner. this was neither.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alleged/suspected "poacher", who is also family to the owner (nephew) which all equals a frustrating and potentially sticky situation. I don't know how I would deal with that, if at all.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

New:

There's NO way I can unequivocally say that buck didn't wander onto that (whatever's left of an acre after you place a house/barn and a few cars on it) land and was taken, legally. But.....if it was....that's one helluva prime spot (considering his dad just killed a spike and an 8 pointer supposedly from grandpa's land, too). I'm not going to do anything about it. When I had a stnd stolen, last year.....I went to my landowner to just tell him I had something stolen. He told me his nephew and great nephew probably did it. He SPECIFICALLY does not let them on his land. I have sole permission....for a reason. I watch out for his property. His property is better served with me on it, periodically. I'm there and they aren't.....for a reason (really...a few reasons).

It just bugs me that an animal of that stature was LIKELY not taken by legal means....or, at least, taken in a legal manner. And yes.....I cultivate that herd and follow it all year long. it bothers me when one gets hit by a car, too. I, like most here, would like to think my hard work and time was put in for a CHANCE at one of them. Especially one of htis caliber 9that I heard it was).

Just my .10

jeff

Jeff

Quick Reply: Kid shot "my" deer......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.