Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote. >

Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would have no problem driving there
95.96%
No, I'm not leaving town
4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

The only problems I see are the lack of exposure and the 1.2M dirt road.
People are lazy and don't like to go hunting for a store. Your repeat customers won't be the problem but drumming up new ones may prove difficult. A lot of new customer traffic is from drive-by's. Make sure you put a BIG sign at the end of the driveway. I still think the other positives outweigh those two negatives. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

TX,
If you start now I'll be open about the time you get here!

Wheatly,
That's what i am thinking. Actually have an indoor range where you can practice at longer distances than 99% of your shots. That will make the 20 yard shot seem easy.

Bowtech,
Thank you. I have a lot to learn before I would consider myself "great" at the pro shop aspect of the business but I'm learning fast.

Teejay,
There are no other indoor ranges in town or in the area.
I know I will have to advertise more.

RTA,
Now don't go getting me in trouble with your wife

MO
Thanks!

Trembow,
It is a gravel road, not dirt. In Iowa 80% of the roads are gravel. There's one every mile. It's kind of flat here you know.
I give up too, what is JOAD?
A youth archery league of some sort is my guess?

Mom,
I treat female customers just like everyone else. About 20% of my current line of work is selling to females.

I see I picked up another no vote! I'd like to hear why you voted no? I am gathering information here and I would like to have the negatives as well as the positives.

Thanks all of you.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

The only problems I see are the lack of exposure and the 1.2M dirt road.
People are lazy and don't like to go hunting for a store. Your repeat customers won't be the problem but drumming up new ones may prove difficult. A lot of new customer traffic is from drive-by's. Make sure you put a BIG sign at the end of the driveway. I still think the other positives outweigh those two negatives. Good Luck!
My feelings exactly, especially what I bold typed.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

If you prove to be good and reputable word gets around. Bowhunters are a tight knit community treat people right and they will beat your door down. Screw them and word of mouth travels fast. We have a dealer who put in a video system shelled out big bucks but he's a great guy now his leagues and video bow shooting is busy year round. He can also tune a bow keeps very up to date and goes to the many seminars that his business sells, Matthews, Hoyt, and added Ross and Bear last year. People I know drive 30 plus miles to shoot in his league and get bow work done!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

An out of town, gravel road business will be all word of mouth. When the word gets out, it will travel fast among the bow shooting community in your area. New driveby, hey did I just see an archery shop I better swing in, business will be non-existant. Good luck buddy. Other guys that you will not get to see are the guys from Boone county, IA that planned on riding their harley to see your shop, but you can live without me. Harleys and gravel don't mix.
Your poll question should be: Do you think I can make money and pay my bills with an archery shop in the country in the middle of nowhere on gravel or do I stand to make much more money and make this business grow better by being in town and having a store front? Of course people will drive anywhere to go to the closest, best archery shop. Will it grow, get the customer exposure that an intown store front can get; I would say no. Look how many guys will have there wives drop them off at the archery store while they run to the mall or do other shopping.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

An out of town, gravel road business will be all word of mouth. When the word gets out, it will travel fast among the bow shooting community in your area. New driveby, hey did I just see an archery shop I better swing in, business will be non-existant. Good luck buddy. Other guys that you will not get to see are the guys from Boone county, IA that planned on riding their harley to see your shop, but you can live without me. Harleys and gravel don't mix.
Your poll question should be: Do you think I can make money and pay my bills with an archery shop in the country in the middle of nowhere on gravel or do I stand to make much more money and make this business grow better by being in town and having a store front? Of course people will drive anywhere to go to the closest, best archery shop. Will it grow, get the customer exposure that an intown store front can get; I would say no. Look how many guys will have there wives drop them off at the archery store while they run to the mall or do other shopping.
Zactly!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

if ya were the only one around like that word of mouth will spread fast....go fer it.................bob
Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 PM

HCH,
I totally agree, in town with the same facility would be great!
Of course it would be 2-3 times as much money too so I do not know, that is why I'm asking, if most people here would be opposed to going to the country. It's only 3 miles S of Cedar Falls/Waterloo so it isn'texactly "in the middle of nowhere".
Would I do more business in town? Yes, I am pretty sure I would.
Would it offset the extra expense? I do not know.
Still weighing my options.
Thanks for your comments.

Hey, if I do get the country building, I'll just leave my Expedition with the keys in it,in my driveway for you to drive out. How are you going to bring your bow so you can shoot the range?

Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

HCH,
I totally agree, in town with the same facility would be great!
Of course it would be 2-3 times as much money too so I do not know, that is why I'm asking, if most people here would be opposed to going to the country. It's only 3 miles S of Cedar Falls/Waterloo so it isn'texactly "in the middle of nowhere".
Would I do more business in town? Yes, I am pretty sure I would.
Would it offset the extra expense? I do not know.
Still weighing my options.
Thanks for your comments.

Hey, if I do get the country building, I'll just leave my Expedition with the keys in it,in my driveway for you to drive out. How are you going to bring your bow so you can shoot the range?
Strapped to Hoytgirls' back.Good luck with this venture buddy; a business like this is a lot of capital, time, and work. I wish you success.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

5-10 miles is nothing. Customer service and industry knowledge will bring customers to you. The facility is a bonus. I used to buy my equipment from this guy who was a part-time dealer in the basement of his house. But, he knew more about archery than anyone within 100 miles of me and treated people right.

Quick Reply: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.