Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 little ones make big ones >

little ones make big ones

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

little ones make big ones

Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: little ones make big ones

As for the does and fawn dispersement issue, all fawns remain with their doe until early spring. Mom's not done teaching them about winter foraging. These statements are based on many years of sightings plus what I've read. They can make it without her in the case of her being killed, but they will be a bit bewildered for a while. Bucks are not discriminate when they run the fawns off their mother. Bucks run off all other deer from the doe he intends to breed. I have trail cam pics of does with both fawns (male and female)as late as march. My season ends the second week of Jan. and I keep the cam out through March (through shedding). This is what I see. Right now, the fawns are stillwith the does.

Some of the largest bucks that I see are during the late season. For this reason I still go out and sit in my stands even if I've filled my tags. I bring my camera trying for a pic (still trying). When these bucks show up, it is usually between Dec. 3-10 (second rut), they are mostly chasing fawns that are ready to breed (some does). There is another (third rut) flury of breeding activity around Jan. 4. This time it is all fawns being persued, no does. If you blink, you'll miss this one. Funny thing, the bucks aren't as big this time around. Usually 150 or less. Last year, I saw a 170 10 pt and a high 150s 9 pt w/stickers, during the Dec. breeding period. I see this activity at a food source during the evening. Bottom line is that I'm seeing all fawns still with their doe through March.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Site Bouncer

Greg,

I saw a buck chasing a fawn last year on the second to last day of hunting, I think it was Jan. 10th or 11th. Nice 120-130 8 point. He was just a little too far away and in some slight cover for me to get a shot.

I love hunting the second and even the third rut.

Now back to our program........
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

Greg,

I saw a buck chasing a fawn last year on the second to last day of hunting, I think it was Jan. 10th or 11th. Nice 120-130 8 point. He was just a little too far away and in some slight cover for me to get a shot.

I love hunting the second and even the third rut.

Now back to our program........
Big I have see the same thing. Came close twice to shooting nice deer.

I also have seen the fawns back with the Doe's in Dec. This time year I will see deer yarded up. A sighting 15-25 deer is not uncommon or I see nothing!

Atlas you saw more deer then me and Gramps, we got blank two times we went out.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I still have does with fawns. Most every doe here still has a fawn in tow. What "I" have seen, though.....is button bucks being abandoned in the Fall. I see more lone button bucks than I do ANYTHING. I saw a doe with a button buck and a doe fawn while Rob was here (they were around and under my stand)....but I got the feeling he was just looking for somebody to hang with.I saw likely 5 button heads without anyone else around, this Fall. Some of these, early.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 PM

im only 14 too me and my dad pass up the little ones and shoot big ones. Some of my uncles do that to. but i would rather get a big buck in 2 years than get 2 small basket racks
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

We really have so many deer around here that it doesn't matter. I've passed on small bucks spikes and forks but I'll take a button buck or a small doe in a heartbeat, the meat is superb. Sorry but it's the venison version of veal.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Spike

In New Mexico we have a problem finding good size deer. The DGF made a 3 point minimum the last two years and now they are going back to fork or better. I saw about 8 bucks this year. Two or three we six and eight pointers the rest were spikes. I wish they would cancel the season for a year or two.

my 2 cents
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 PM

Where I live in new york we dont see to many deer. To see a deer makes me so happy, the antlers are just a little bonus =\
Old 01-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I say that you have a good teacher.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 AM

You have to look at were the person has to hunt. For me there is not a lot of hunting areas. This year I had a late start dropped a doe. For me the first deer is for the freezer feed the family first. Then after that I start looking at racks.

Quick Reply: little ones make big ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.