HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - little ones make big ones
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 AM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: little ones make big ones

As for the does and fawn dispersement issue, all fawns remain with their doe until early spring. Mom's not done teaching them about winter foraging. These statements are based on many years of sightings plus what I've read. They can make it without her in the case of her being killed, but they will be a bit bewildered for a while. Bucks are not discriminate when they run the fawns off their mother. Bucks run off all other deer from the doe he intends to breed. I have trail cam pics of does with both fawns (male and female)as late as march. My season ends the second week of Jan. and I keep the cam out through March (through shedding). This is what I see. Right now, the fawns are stillwith the does.

Some of the largest bucks that I see are during the late season. For this reason I still go out and sit in my stands even if I've filled my tags. I bring my camera trying for a pic (still trying). When these bucks show up, it is usually between Dec. 3-10 (second rut), they are mostly chasing fawns that are ready to breed (some does). There is another (third rut) flury of breeding activity around Jan. 4. This time it is all fawns being persued, no does. If you blink, you'll miss this one. Funny thing, the bucks aren't as big this time around. Usually 150 or less. Last year, I saw a 170 10 pt and a high 150s 9 pt w/stickers, during the Dec. breeding period. I see this activity at a food source during the evening. Bottom line is that I'm seeing all fawns still with their doe through March.