Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Checked by a Warden last night >

Checked by a Warden last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checked by a Warden last night

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Checked by a Warden last night

Thats because shooting Doves without the proper permits would be a federal crime since they are migratory. Thats big money in fines.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been checked this year as well and I always thank them for checking me. I figure they are doing thier jobs and I want them to. I hope they check the guys that can't produce a license so they can be gotten out of the woods. I have gotten to know a couple of the guys for my area by calling them out of courtesy when I am planning a night time hog hunt. They will often stop by to make sure the gunshots are indeed directed at hogs. They have told me of ranches that need help with hog population control and helped me gain access. So far only for hog hunting but I'm working on deer access. I figure if I help enough of these ranchers out one will help me out. So it is always a good thing to try to get on the good side of your local Warden!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 AM

I Have never been checked but was talking to the guys that hunt the timber to the south of me and on Sat nov 18th 2nd day of IL shotgun season they were check he walked up to them while they were on the stand had them get out of the stand to check thier license and permits. On one hand i am glad they are checking but I also would not be very happy about them coming to my stand and ruining my hunting. I just do not understand why he did not wait by the truck for them to come out.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

One of my buddies was checked and ticketed this year during a duck hunt. He told me that he and his family have hunted this small pond/lake for 15 years. Anyway he's been hunting it for the last 3 years I think and has seen other duck hunters during that time.

Here is how it went. When they got back to the landing after hunting a couple of game wardens stoped them and said that they were hunting in a state game preserve and that it is illeagal to hunt ducks in this area. My buddie showed them a map of the area that showed other state game preserves but didn't show this are on the map as a game preserve. There also were no signs in the area around the landing or next to the lake along the road that said 'game preserve'. This was their argument that there was nothing notifying them that it was a game preserve and there were no signs plus the map didn't say it was. The warden's claimed everytime they put a sign up stating that it was a preserve that someone would take it out of the ground. Well they ended up fining them all $500 each 4 guys. They were going to take all of there trucks and guns and even the dogs and boats that were being used. Then decided last min not to take any of it and just issue the fine. Then right before they left the warden's told them if they decided to fight the charge in court that they would take all of the previously mentioned things (Trucks,guns,dogs, boats).

I thought this was a bunch of B.S!. They ended up finding out it was a game preserve but how were they supposed to know. No sighns and the stated map never showed it as one. What would you guys have done in this situation.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every one that have come across in the UP of Mi has been a total prick. I have no respect for them because show no respect to the hunters. They are under the assumption that if you are in the woods, you are doing something wrong, and they are going to find it. The jackass that checked me last friday accused me 10 times of shooting my deer at night because the eyes were far too cloudy to only have been shot 2 hours before, at 9 a.m. I am apparently not in tune with the clouding time on deer eyes after they die, but the steam billowing out of the chest was also unacceptable because "You could have easily shot it last night and left the guts in, and it would still steam like that." Complete jerk and they make the law-abiding hunter paranoid. A MI conservation officer is also not going to give any useful information, because god forbid the sportsman has a good day afield. Sorry if you guys don't agree, but this is my own personal experience and I know that many of yours are different.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tschammel

One of my buddies was checked and ticketed this year during a duck hunt. He told me that he and his family have hunted this small pond/lake for 15 years. Anyway he's been hunting it for the last 3 years I think and has seen other duck hunters during that time.

Here is how it went. When they got back to the landing after hunting a couple of game wardens stoped them and said that they were hunting in a state game preserve and that it is illeagal to hunt ducks in this area. My buddie showed them a map of the area that showed other state game preserves but didn't show this are on the map as a game preserve. There also were no signs in the area around the landing or next to the lake along the road that said 'game preserve'. This was their argument that there was nothing notifying them that it was a game preserve and there were no signs plus the map didn't say it was. The warden's claimed everytime they put a sign up stating that it was a preserve that someone would take it out of the ground. Well they ended up fining them all $500 each 4 guys. They were going to take all of there trucks and guns and even the dogs and boats that were being used. Then decided last min not to take any of it and just issue the fine. Then right before they left the warden's told them if they decided to fight the charge in court that they would take all of the previously mentioned things (Trucks,guns,dogs, boats).

I thought this was a bunch of B.S!. They ended up finding out it was a game preserve but how were they supposed to know. No sighns and the stated map never showed it as one. What would you guys have done in this situation.
You know the old saying that ignorance of the law is no excuse, sounds like those guys needed to check out their huning spot a little more thoroughly.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Most wardens around here are awesome people with good reliable information, but one of em is on a definate power trip and cant seem to have enough authority if you know what i mean.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was checked in PA one Sunday, no hunting on Sunday and we weren't just driving the back roads to different spots to hang stands and scout. We were pulled over the side, the three of us taking a pee. Warden truck pulls up, stays back about 30 yards. We all finish, they pull up and get out. Two women!! [8D] they said they decided to let us "finish" before approaching.

got a good laugh, they looked in the van, no weapons and off we went.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

We had aMd GW on here till some people drove him away. He was a very respectable, likeable and down to earth guy. He went by the name #1Gamewarden and attended our NE Get-Togethers. He is a friend of mine now and always has been a friend of DaveH. When he would post some on here at the time would try to argue with him and he said he just didn't need that and hasn't been back. He was truely one of the good ones and would help you out any way he could.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Ite 622, I don't know where you're at in TX, but that's the way it is around me too. It's about a 50/50 split between friendly and cocky wardens. Of course I know that all the "poachers" in E. TX have left a nasty taste in the mouths of wardens over the years, especially when it comes to deer. It's been a while since I've been checked so I figure it'll be any day now. I'm actually looking forward to meeting the warden that patrols the area of my new lease. I want to find out what type of fella he is. Officer Shoemaker (sp?) was a friendly warden that patrolled around my last lease, it was always a nice visit when he came around. He even helped a friend of mine track one of his deer and helped drag it out of the woods.
However, I've have run into a couple that are very determined to find something you are doing wrong.

Quick Reply: Checked by a Warden last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.