Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Next year

Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Next year

As this years rut winds down somewhat, what about next year? With the conventional wisdom of the second full moon of the Autumnal Equinox being the "Rutting Moon" and the physiological changes centering around the Pineal (sp?) gland and shortened daylight and photoperiodicity (sp?) again, what about next year. The second full moon is OCT 26th or 27th and clocks are not set back until sometime early in the morning of Oct 27th. So you have both the Rutting Moon and the time change and decrease in daylight hours happening on the same day. If the rut kicks in on "traditional" timing in the November time frame it will be almost a new moon. What's the opinions on this situation??
Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Next year

I just go in the woods when I can. The moon has no impact on wheter I go or not. It's deer hunting not rocket science.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

I just go in the woods when I can. The moon has no impact on wheter I go or not. It's deer hunting not rocket science.
It may not be rocket science but there is a lot more to tagging mature deer on a consistent basis than just "going in the woods."

Old 11-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Spike

You've got to have an opinion, it isn't rocket science but as a Life member I would think that you have thought this stuff through and you might have some insight. I don't know if you are who you seem to try to appear to be by your title (thenuge15) and location but I asked for opinions on my comment not a veiled slight that I might be over thinking something. Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your over thinking.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Look at it htis way. If your chart shows Nov 11th to be "the day".....and that happens to be on a Wednesday......and I have a presentation due to a client that day.......you darned right I'm gonna hunt the evening of the 9th or the morning of the 13th or ANY TIME I CAN.

I understand his statement, completely.

I've looked at ALL the moon charts and I've hunted in front of and behind weather systems. All these strategies have merit. BUT....it makes NO DIFFERENCE in the world if you can't be out there when said systems move through.

Hunt when you can....and hunt the best you can. That's all he was saying. Let me ask you......would you give 2 days afield for one? If you knew the peak was SUPOSED to be on the 11th.....would you forego your opportunities to hunt the 10th and 13th for that one day? I wouldn't.

You're thinking too much.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Spike

I think you all are missing my question. To start, I hunt whenever and where ever I can and don't specifically determine when I will hunt based on the conventional wisdoms. I was simply looking for opinions on this situation, most times I find a good bit of solid advice and opinions on this site and I was just trying to tap into that intelligence in the hope of stimulating some thought. Personally though I agree things such as daylight and moon phase have broad far reaching effects on deer I believe that on a day to day existance "deer will do whatever deer will do".