Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Done In Illinois >

Done In Illinois

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Done In Illinois

Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Done In Illinois

Well guys and gals, my Illinois bowhunting season is officially over! I look forward to once again having skin that isn't dried out from scent-free soaps, a truck that doesnt' smell like Fresh Earth inside, sleeping in on the weekends, anda girlfriend who isn't nagging me because I'm not home enough!

The story is fairly simple. I hung a new stand last night with plans to hunt all day today. I was going to give one last hurrah and see what happens, so moved my Lone Wolf hang-on with sticks into a new tree, to set up with the predicted North winds, and snuck out right before dark to observe a cut cornfield.

I was in my stand 45 minutes before daylight this morning and immediately had a buck come by at 15 yards. I could barely make out his rack and that was it.

The first hour of light was rather unproductive save a few squirrels. About 7:15 a doe and two little ones came by at about 80 yards. 10 minutes after they drifted off behind me they came running back through. I figured they bumped into a buck so I was alert, watching thefield from which they had come.

At 7:40 a spotted a buck walking and immediately thought "shooter". Before grabbing my grunt tube and trying to coax him my way I decided to wait a minute to see where he was going to commit himself to. Sure enough, he turned and came down the trail straight in front of my stand. At 18 yards I grunted to stop him as he entered my lane, placed my pin on him, and sent an NAP Nitron through both lungs. He made it 60 yards before expiring.

I thought he was bigger than he actually is when I shot him, but I'm still happy. I'llget some better photos later when my cameramanarrives. These are stills from my video camera.

I've had a great season, have more than a freezer full of meat, and soon two more mounts for my wall.

Total 2006 score - 2 bucks, 2 does, 1 coyote. The Bowtech Allegiance and NAP Nitrons have done a great job and I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Done In Illinois

That's a real nice buck Justin. Congrats on your great season.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Job, looks like a great year, maybe your best ever?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! And kudos on such a productive season.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

You had a great season, congradulations. Nowyou should change your sig to the Buckanator.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

You had a great season, congradulations. Nowyou should change your sig to the Buckanator.
[8D]Has a nice ring, and funny, very funny
Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 AM

Sounds like you had a great season, are you going to hunt anything else?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, I am officially done for the year. I'm gonna do some hunting with the trail cameras for next year, and then I'll be hitting the sheds pretty hard this spring. I'll probably start pulling some stands down in the next week or two before it gets too cold.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great year indeed, congrats. That buck looks like he is a one and a half year old with that short snout. If he is he comes from a very fine gene pool.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job, great shot and great year Justin. A big, hearty congratulations from me.

Quick Reply: Done In Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.