Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some Advice please! >

Some Advice please!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some Advice please!

Old 11-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Some Advice please!

Well theres only one more day of gun season here in Pike County Kentucky and I havent bagged the big one yet! As a matter of fact, I havent even seen anything! I missed taking a shot at a monster 8-point on opening day last saturday and since haven't even seen a doe! this is my first year ever deer hunting and hate to start out not getting anything. Your only allowed to harvest a buck in Pike county, so taking a doe isn't an option this year. My question is, where should i be looking. I'm not clueless, just looking for someone to give some good advice. I work 3rd shift and cant get in the hills till at least 8:30-9:00. I know that is a little late, but its all I can do. I have found lots of scrapes and rubs. I founds places where they have been crossing low gaps and all that. But not seeing anything anywhere. Its discouraging, but it happens a lot i understand. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and near 55 degrees. The hills here are very thick and getting the perfect shot isn't gonna happen? Would finding a spot with good signs such as rubs and scrapes and sitting and waiting for a shot be my best choice? Or should i try moving through the hills in hopes of jumping a buck or seeing one? I dont think I'm impatient. I am sitting at least 3-4 hours before I move at all. nad move very slowly and quietly when i do. Am I overlooking something or is this just part of hunting? LOL! Thanks in advance for any help. I know this isn't written all that well and may not have put it in a way where my questions could clearly be defined, but I'd like to make the last day of gunseason in my area a good one! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Some Advice please!

when i use to rifle hunt i never hunted the rubs or any thing . I looked for a natural funnel or hunted the woods edge & let the the guys that could'nt seat still push them to me. good luck !
Old 11-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Spike

I don't know the area but I am not a fan of stalk hunting, even though when done right it does work. I would get in an area outside a beding area that has the buck sign and if the rut is in there I would use calls to try and bring him in? And hunt all day or as long as you can.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Thats what i've been doing so far. Its just so darn hard to work all night and stay awake in the hills. I work in the coal mines and thats hard enough. I bought a True talker buck call, so hopefully that will help some. any thoughts on that particular call? and which call works best? Its has 4 bands on it. One for buck, doe, etc? as i said I am new to deer hunting. (Not hunting in general though). The hills are very thick and straight up here! And finding a good spot isn't too easy.