Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mistake???

Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mistake???

Ive been chasen a big buck that just won't come in for anything... he's just running doe around a ridge I'm hunting... to try to get him in bow range i hung an estrus rag from a tree... however, i forgot it and left for school and its still in the tree.... u thinki the big bucks gonna get used to smellin that rag in that area and not come in???
another question,, when's these big bucks gonna respond to the grunt call?

thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Mistake???

Welcome to the forum!

When a buck gets locked in on a doe in heat he doesn't care about your scent rag or your deer grunts. He's busy with other things.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a situation like that once. I watched a buck working a doe. The key is to stay with them until he lays down. The doe will usually walk around a little. When she does, give a call grunt or a tending grunt. If she is out of sight, youll get him looking. I got a nice 10 point that way once. The key is, the doe has to be out of his sight.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think leaving the drag rag out will mess you up too much, however it may go "stale." Better luck this time of year trying to intercept your buck, sit along a well traveled funnel that deer use, if you can get in between about 3 bedding areas, you should have some buck activity checking the beds. The bad thing about this time of year is many of the bucks are busy breeding does, if you are lucky to catch one that is "in between" does, looking for a new one coming into heat, or better yet, have a hot doe pass your stand, you'll be in for a treat.

I had a hot doe pass my stand and had 2 nice bucks trailing her, I thought the bucks were about to fight, they began posturing each other and the more dominant buck snort-wheezed 3 times at the other buck before finally convincing him to leave. Had it been about 10 minutes later, I would have had enough light for a good shot, either way an awesome encounter.

Sit in the timber, between some beds, play the wind right and you should see some action. Hang in there!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion, I would drop the buck call alone and pick up 'the can' call, or atleast a mixture of the two.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scent rag, although I wouldn't forget it all the time.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

thanks... sounds good