Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bad mistake

Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Spike

Default Bad mistake

I was shooting with a friend and ran out of ammo. I asked him if he had any 30-06 left (he was shooting multiple calibers). He handed me a fistfull of shells. I wondered why my aim was so bad suddenly when I realized that there were a couple of .270 win. shells mixed in with the bunch. I figure I put 2 rounds of .270 through my .30-06. They chambered and fired fine (the casing is exactly the same on both). It doesn't look like I damaged anything. Should I be worried? I will definately double check every shell that goes through my gun from now on.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 AM

Default RE: Bad mistake

take it to a gunsmith, better safe than sorry.

even when it's ammo i bought new in the box i still check the text on the primer end on a couple to make sure the factory didn't goof.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, it's very unlikely to have hurt a thing, if anthing, the pressure would have been greatly reduced because the burning powder gasses blew past the bullet..
I've seen .308 cases that have been accidentally fired in a 30-06 rifle before- theyhad fireformed to the chamber to look like a 30-06 case wihtout a neck.

I wouldn't reccomend making a habit of shooting the wrong ammo in a rifle. Manufacturers generally design ammunition so that a larger caliber bullet will not fit in a rifle - ie a 30-06 round should not fit in a 270 or 25-06. If you were to accidentally fire a bullet too big in a rifle because of the wrong cartridge you could have very bad results.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, it's a bad idea to do it, but it happens. I've known several people who have made that mistake, and they didn't suffer any damage to their rifle for it. Just clean it, especially the bore,and try not to do it again.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM
bigcountry

270 win shot in a 30-06 ain't no big deal. Just tumble the bullet most likely. I wouldn't worry about it. A 30-06, being forced to fire in a 270, could be nasty. But you couldn't chamber a an 06 in my 270's.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BarePaw

I was shooting with a friend and ran out of ammo. I asked him if he had any 30-06 left (he was shooting multiple calibers). He handed me a fistfull of shells. I wondered why my aim was so bad suddenly when I realized that there were a couple of .270 win. shells mixed in with the bunch. I figure I put 2 rounds of .270 through my .30-06. They chambered and fired fine (the casing is exactly the same on both). It doesn't look like I damaged anything. Should I be worried? I will definately double check every shell that goes through my gun from now on.
Absolutely NO DAMAGE will result from firing .270 Win. ammo in a .30/'06. Headspace of the two cases is identical. But, as you noted, accuracy leaves something to be desired with that .277" bullet ricocheting back and forth as it rattles down the bore........

I used to fire .348 Win. ammo in a .450 Alaskan to get the expanded mouth cases for reloading. No biggy.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another one to look out for is the 25-06 round it will fit and fire in a 270 win .I've seen it done with no harm to the rifle .
Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 PM

You have to be carful with 8mm mauser ammunition, which will fit in a 30-06 and chamber fine but the larger bullet will cause extremly high pressures that could have distasterous results.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM

I did about just the oposite with a new CZ .17 HMR. I didn't realize I had some .22 LR in my hunting vest and when I had to do a quick reload I didn't notice I had chambered a .22 LR in the .17 chamber. It chambered fine but the bullet was .05/100 inch too large. I sounded like a "squib" round "Thats what we call it around here." I checked the bore and the bullet had swaged it's way through the barrel with no ill effects. The rifle still shoots great. I had to do a bunch of cleaning though. I guess my experience speaks to the quality of CZ barrels.