Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big mistake

Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big mistake

I took some advice from one of my hunting buddies and bought a BSA
3x12x50. What a piece a junk, I put it on my .270 wsm it wont hold poi at all . So I will be buying a new nikon in the morning.Now I am questioning if he is really a friend ??? Oh well it was just 50.00 !!!!Anyone want to buy it ??
Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big mistake

Dan,

I would have to agree that BSA scopes are very poor quality. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

SteveFinMD
Old 11-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only BSA I've owned was on a 223. Worked well enough but it's certainly no Nikon or Leupy or a Bushnell for that matter.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a cheap scope that wouldn't hold up to any recoil. I had this thought, though. Do you think it waould hold up on a BB gun? No joke. Keep it on it's lowest magnification, and just use it for back yard plinking, or whatever. Could it salvage a $50 blunder?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you think it waould hold up on a BB gun?
As hard as it may be to believe,spring powered air rifles are harder on a scope than high powered rifles.The reason is that they provide recoil in both directions as the spring is released.Mind you the higher powered pellet guns are muchharder on scopes than a low powered b.b. gun.I destroyed two cheaper scopes on my pellet riflebefore buying a scope was was rated for airgun use.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very true Stubble. I have never owned a BSA scope. Several friends have them on their 17 HMR's and they seem to work. I like the Aetec, Pro-Hunter and Swift for lower dollar scopes. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM

I have a BSA Sweet 17 on my 17hmr. I cannot complain. It is clear the windage change works great from zero at 100 to zero at 250 (dont' like to go much over that bullets seem to tumble shortly after 250). Although the gun shops cringe when you say BSA even though they have them in their selection. It has never let me me down for accurracy yet (knock on wood)
Old 11-04-2005, 04:12 PM

What model did you get. Some are crap, some are not bad. The good ones cost as much as a Aetec or something simular though. I have had several of them and didn't have any realy problems with them. The cheaper ones did not have very good optics, but they functioned well enough.

If it doesn't work correctly call BSA, they will most likely replace it.

I just saw were you said it was $50, what did you expect? You bought a 3-12x50 scope for almost nothing, did you expect it to be a great scope? Any scope for that price has the potential to be a POS, I don't care who's name is on it. Most of them are made in the same place anyway at that price point. My BSA's were all over $100 for the most part.

If you want a good scope of the money look at a Bushnell Trophy. I have pretty good luck with them.

Paul
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Opinions vary widely, on any given subject or issue. Your friend may have thought that the BSA is a good scope...but simply be mistaken, or lacking in knowledge about the details of scope technology. This is a subject which is discussed widely, argued about constantly....and there is much misinformation floating about. Further, the BSA may have served your friend reasonably well, given his lack of knowledge and therefore, modest expectations. Very often, brands and models of particular products are endorsed by people on the basis of pride - but with scanty facts and even less experience. For some reason, people tend to tie their egos in with the products they choose - such that they cannot be objective regarding a "bad" choice. Unless you are sure that he made the recommendation out of malice, I would not condemn him, if I were you.

For future reference, it should be understood by all that $50.00 will not buy a truly quality scope - especially if it is a variable magnification type. Far from it. One can get adequate (emphasize ADEQUATE - not high quality) FIXED-magnification scopes, within limited criteria, for $100.00 or less. This very much depends on the usage parameters. The harder the usage will be (adverse weather conditions, the possibility of the scope being knocked about, etc.) the less likely that the inexpensive scope will be fully reliable. As well, $100.00 or less, in this day and age, will NOT buy quality glass, with multicoating.

As we have all heard a million times, with optics, "you get what you pay for". However, there are limitations with this theory. It is NOT a linear concept, in reality. That is, it is NOT automatically true that, the more an optical device costs, the better it will be. As such, the $1000.00 Swarovski is NOT twice as good as the $500.00 Leupold.....and so forth. In fact, in this example, there may be very little difference (or none at all), in the quality of the two brands/ prices mentioned above. This is where marketing and good old-fashioned business practices (re: greed) come into it. Any manufacturer will tend to charge whatever the market will bear for their products. If their reputation will support a price point of $1000.00....then that is what BSA would charge, no matter the actual quality of the scope. However, given that not everyone in the business world is completely dishonest, an expensive Swarovski scope, as it happens, is vastly better, in actual practice, than an inexpensive BSA.

I think that the important starting point for choosing a scope begins with two concepts. First, how hard will the scope be used ? What do I expect of it ? What do I need in a scope? (These are the usage parameters.) Second, what can I afford to spend - and how much do I want to spend ? If both of these concepts are addressed honestly and realistically, before proceeding with selection and purchase, then a suitable scope can be obtained, for WELL less than $1000.00. Factoring in technological constraints, such as the fact that variable-magnification scopes are mechanically and optically MUCH more complicated than fixed-magnification ones...(therefore, the price of a good variable scope will always likely be higher than an equal-quality fixed scope)....allows one to come to a good resolution...and make a good choice... based on his/ her specific needs. I think that it is very important to take ego OUT of the equation. With scopes, there is always a lot of "peer" pressure. One friend says that you should buy ONLY Leupold, period.... yet another will look down his nose at you if you do not spring for the $999.00 Swarovski....that sort of thing. It is best not to be swayed by such noise. Making an informed judgement involves research and personal judgement, not being led about "by the nose". Likewise, being led simply by the advertising copy generated by the various brands is a recipe for disaster.

It is a difficult decision, but in the end, a few conclusions can be drawn, based on the reality of the scope market. First, there are NO terribly good scopes available, for less than $100.00. There are a few adequate ones (just barely adequate for general use) for this price, but ONLY fixed-magnification types. Beyond $500- $600, there is very little to be gained by each extra dollar spent, unless the scope involved has some additional special features. Fixed-magnification scopes will, almost always, be sturdier in hard use, than variable ones. Warranties are important, but they are not everything (for they really only represent a "bet" on the part of the manufacturer...as well as a customer service committment). For the vast majority of people (and their specific usage parameters)...scopes in the $150 to $300 range tend to be entirely suitable, depending on the exact specifications (variables with really wide magnification ranges should probably cost more than $300...in order to be good ones). Finally, if all one can afford for optics is $100 or less, then one is much better off by putting that money toward a good set of iron sights....and shooting within the limitations of such.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow I didnt know that you had to be an engineer to buy a scope and
decide that you didnt like it (reguardless of the price) . You have to be kidding that $50.00 wont buy a good scope. Come on fellas this isnt that serious that we need to get that indepth with the resposes . I was merly stating thatit wasnt a good scope for my wsm It mat serve well on a different calibur . And also its not the monetary issue its trying new things who knows you may find a lemon or a cherry. lighten up !!!